DAC design based on ES9038PRO (Lumin)

As a student of electronics, my teacher want me design a DAC with ES9038PRO (dual chip)
With i2s input
I found that Lumin audio is designed a very good DAC in all their latest devices, but as they are new devices, we can't find a schematic.
I try to contact with Lumin to help me in this regard but no answer.

Attached data is what i get from Internet, from different sites.

If anyone can help me in this design.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021-041021_Fiverr.jpg
    Screenshot_20231021-041021_Fiverr.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 269
  • dz02NjImaD0zNzc__src_60714-odtwarzacz-sieciowy-lumin-t2-audiocompl-fot8.jpg
    dz02NjImaD0zNzc__src_60714-odtwarzacz-sieciowy-lumin-t2-audiocompl-fot8.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 272
If you want to learn how to design your own dac then we might help you. Lumin had to learn how to design their dac and you will have to learn how to design yours. You should not expect anyone to help you copy Lumin.

What if it takes you a year to learn how do design your own dac? Then should we help someone to copy your hard work?

@mnsaqib
We would like to know a little bit more about you and about your project.

The question asked by @rfbrw is a good one. ES9038PRO is of the previous generation of ESS dac chips. There are newer chips with newer part numbers, such as ES9039PRO and ES9038Q2M. The latter dac chip is probably a better choice for a dual mono dac design at this time. That is, unless you have some particular reason for needing to use ES9038PRO.

Also, if you could please tell us a little more about where you are in your studies? Do you have any college degree yet? Have you designed anything complicated before? The answers to those questions will help us to understand what you know at this point, and other things you may still not know.

Regarding a schematic for a single ES9038PRO dac, do you already have one of those? Do you know how to design single-chip ES9038PRO dac yourself? If not then we should probably start there and only after that start talking about what is different with a dual mono design.

One more question would be whether you have to design a PCB and build your design? If so, what is your experience with designing a PCB? Have you designed a mixed-signal PCB before?

Es9038pro with lumin was an example from the teacher, before we start, we have to learn what is latest in the industry, i have read many thredsa here, and as you can see, i am getting very much good information from you , seniors, meanwhile studying the different chips,
I am a student, always need your support
🙏

Es9038pro with lumin was an example from the teacher, before we start, we have to learn what is latest in the industry...
On what basis did the teacher make that assessment? In other words, how did the teacher determine that lumin was a good example? Measurements? If you like good measurements then you might want to take a look at measurements recently posted in the thread at: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/return-to-zero-shift-register-firdac.379406/post-7481890 The dac sounds good too.
It can also be compared with ES9038Q2M dac measurements at: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/return-to-zero-shift-register-firdac.379406/post-7448050

Last edited:
I don't see the idea of building a dac with dual ES9038pro as stupid. I listened to commercial dacs with that same chip and I always really liked the sound.

The idea seems like a good project to me, in fact I also thought about building something like this, only with I2S input and RCA analog output (unbalanced, with a simple operational I/V converter.

I would like the idea of building one because I don't trust Chinese PCB boards if there is a possibility of fake ESS chips.

If anyone wants to contribute ideas on how to build it, I will also be attentive to this thread, I am very interested.

I have experience designing and building other audio projects including pcb designs.

Greetings.

...don't see the idea of building a dac with dual ES9038pro as...
Have you compared the sound of ES9038PRO with top-of-the-line AKM chips such as AK4499EX? Compared the sound with discrete resistor RTZ DSD FIRDACs?

Isn't the main thing about paralleling a lot of channels is that it can lower the noise floor? What if the noise floor is good enough without doing that? What if the more significant noise problem, if there is one, has to do with signal-correlated noise arising from sigma-delta modulation, effects of substrate coupled noise, etc.?

OTOH, as far as dual mono goes, might that have other beneficial effects beyond that of simple channel paralleling?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't see the idea of building a dac with dual ES9038pro as stupid. I listened to commercial dacs with that same chip and I always really liked the sound.
4 parallel channels are not enough? Need 8 ? :)

P.S. I made DACs with one 9039Pro as 8 channels, one 9038Pro as stereo 2x4, also with 2x9038Pro as stereo 2x8.
Also AK4499EQ as 2x2.
Yes, the SNR increases a little, but who really needs SNR more than what a single 9038pro channel can produce? And even more with 4 parallel ones (for stereo 2x4). Do you need another +3dB more, with 2x8?
TND usually does not change when connecting channels in parallel, but by multiplying the output current of the DAC, you get a headache when choosing I/V OP and an almost useless increase in signal to noise and a large increase in consumption and heat dissipation (which are already quite large).

Alex.

Reactions: 1 user