DAC blind test: NO audible difference whatsoever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tell me more, what do you mean by reference voltage?

Every D/A converter has a reference voltage. This is the lowest voltage that is used to scale the D/A output. The stair-steps from the D/A (befofre filtering) have rise (voltage) and run (time). The reference voltage scales the rise, so if it is variable it can be used as a volume control.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I actually agree very much with point 1. I know of no independent psychoacoustic or technical research into the perception of dynamics, and the technical correlations it has in a sound system. I think this is a big black box in consumer audio. Personally, I want my system to reproduce transients of at least 115 db - linearly - without starting to sweat. And I want it to happen without any overhang. More transient power would be even better, but then horns start becoming a necessity.

As for jitter, I might change my mind about it when we start getting better data :)

There are impulse measurements of DACs that give you some idea of the dynamic response, but they are usually lacking. Stereophile measurements of DAC impulse response never shows the vertical axis, so you don't know if the signal made it all the way to the max excursion or not. They only show the pre and post ringing.

I publish these on my DAC webpage with axis BTW.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Thanks, that's what I thought, but, believe it or not, I'd not heard of it, it makes perfect sense, whenever I've come across people referring to digital or DAC attenuation before it was by effectively losing bits. Why is this method not the norm?

Because the majority of D/A chips don't support it. You could do a custom design though.

One thing that makes it superior is that as the volume goes lower, the S/N ratio actually increases. With all other volume control technologies, it decreases, so more noise and less detail at lower volumes.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

There are impulse measurements of DACs that give you some idea of the dynamic response, but they are usually lacking. Stereophile measurements of DAC impulse response never shows the vertical axis, so you don't know if the signal made it all the way to the max excursion or not. They only show the pre and post ringing.

I publish these on my DAC webpage with axis BTW.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Cool, will check it out.

Btw, what is the reason you use tubes for your speakers, if I may ask?

Cool, will check it out.

Btw, what is the reason you use tubes for your speakers, if I may ask?

They sound better. I had 600W modded monoblocks. These 35W SET monoblocks beat the SS.

Better bass
Tighter bass
better highs
more smooth vocals

I wanted the Vapor Audio Nimbus speakers because they are efficient and sound great. Only the best drivers and crossover parts.

Steve N.

^ many would say that is because of the euphonic second harmonic distortion, what do you think, and wouldn't it mean it's not ideal for detecting what people appear to agree are very small variations in DACs?

I don't consider a "live" sound euphonic.

I chose my tubes carefully to get the live sound.

Having been in this business for 17 years, I have been down the garden path many times and pulled myself back. This system is both accurate and pleasing to listen to. Live orchestral recordings are simply amazing. Most of the recordings I listen to are live recordings. Studio recordings sound disjointed because I hear the sound booth for the vocalist always, except for Bluecoast Recordings. They record the vocalist with all of the intruments at the same time.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

wouldn't it mean it's not ideal for detecting what people appear to agree are very small variations in DACs?

Small variations? Differences between dacs, or for this matter any front end can be interpreted as small in very limited situations

- when comparing entry level products
- when reference system is entry level
- when hearing is entry level

Outside these unfortunate situations differences may easily become profound.

And what is the relevance of harmonic distortion? Simple, nfb free tube amps may not provide the best dynamics or bass for every speaker/crossover combo but their ability to discriminate against source quality is peerless.

And what is the relevance of harmonic distortion? Simple, nfb free tube amps may not provide the best dynamics or bass for every speaker/crossover combo but their ability to discriminate against source quality is peerless.
This is interesting and kind of what I think I'm getting at, ie high resolution may not be required. It's been a long time since I listened to a valve amp, and would like to again, damn, much of what I listen to was recorded on valve equipment, although I have a hunch it is easier to record than reproduce

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.