• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

D3a or 6E6P, LL1660 IT, and 300B amp.

Hi,

As you know, cathode at AC ground and you get Rp according to the datasheet.
But the penalty you pay for cathode at AC ground .. I guess you work it out for yourself and how you did that.. Ck, or battery in the grid circuit - all second rate IMO. Stacked supplies for low level stages, probably not. Split rail supplies - yep.. l'd like to see more.

So, if raised AC impedance cathode - higher Rp, more Lpri, more phase shift at LF, the higher the LF pole and also C of the primary.. and BW shrinks quickly from both ends.

So far as the measurements.. my application is 150mVpp to the grid, horisontal load line. If you can run it again with those parameters, great.

So far as 200Vpp levels of drive, I do understand, and each to their own, but I would use a low Cin and low mu DHT, something like 71A. Stacked supplies without cathode (fil) bypass and <2kRp. Takes an additional stage, but so long as it is a good stage, IME it sounds just as direct, okay maybe some slight loss, but more different than 'loss' but very much more effortless and less strained on peaks.

Apples for horses :)
You are ok.
With other stage , you do not need preamplifier.
Today my amp is D3a , RC copling , 45 , Lundahl 1671 coupling , 300B , Lundahl 1664 OPT.
The best of all my 300B amps.
The peaks , they look like lots of Watts amp

Santiago

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I like the linearity of D3a, but prefer (to my ears) other tubes when large voltage swings are required.
Larger than 198Vpp?
D3a driver 70VRMS_Left.jpg

Joined 2004
Paid Member
6688 E180F Philips, Ericsson, Valvo , Siemens , none sound like the D3a. I never used 7722, I don't know how it sounds.
Trioded E280F (7722) is almost similar than D3a.
I used it in VAS stages substituting the D3a, in the similar operating point.
The tone characteristic of E280F is more "refined", against it, the D3a is playing as a rocker.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2021
E55L is 600 ohm and would also work, but if you go too low with the drive impedance you have resonance issues, which some winders describe as 'benign'. Always struck me as an interesting word choice.

As to reason why 2 stage DHT may be prefereable to single stage high Gm, high mu, low Rp tube, I dont think it is Rp - drive impedance of D3a and 71A are close enough. Thoriated tungsten fil vs oxide coated cathode and subtstancially larger radiating area, and perhaps quality of the materials used?.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2021
Trioded E280F (7722) is almost similar than D3a.
I used it in VAS stages substituting the D3a, in the similar operating point.
The tone characteristic of E280F is more "refined", against it, the D3a is playing as a rocker.

With horisontal load line, I always thought the 7722 was better suited to larger AC volt swing than 7721.
Transfer curves seem to support this - take 15 or 20mA. I did find 7721 more 'raw' (which I like) and agree with your subjective comments on that.

6688 is amazing value, sample to sample variation is large enough to buy more than you think you need, 20pcs for $100?.

Last edited: