Custom DIY 8" Fullrange Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 0$ parts were realized on a high precision modern CNC lathe, but a really skilled ancient guy with a traditional old lathe can perform this kind of work (at a cost of more time).
Drilling small holes is not really a challenge and it can be performed also with a simple lathe (and its inherent very high concentricity precision), i've done high percision parts and adjustements in my young years with reformed old lathes of the 60s
Give me just an old lathe... and it will not take a whole day but i need this specific tool :

My frame is made using 5 axis CNC machine, they are not just simply drilling holes. They are milled using rotational cutting bed.

Yeah, I get all that (I'd see if I could find some flat-bladed clips), but my big point here is if he's looking to make an 8-ohm nominal impedance driver, the impedance is going to be too high. If he's looking to have a consistent impedance from driver to driver, then that should do.

Eventually will need DRC before looking at the impedance.

Why DCR is needed to determine the winding before impedance is, the impedance will change if the VC objective is not defined. Objectives like VC height, turns, material, etc... so it is pretty meaningless to look at impedance without these objectives.

For example Lowther design has Magnet Height equals to VC Height of 5mm. Meaning 100% of the VC is inside the metal core, the TS inductance (Lm) @1khz is much higher than a VC height of 10mm because for a 10mm some percentage of the VC is outside the metal pole.

Never in any part of my posts mentioned precision other than my CNC Winding Machine and maybe on my speaker frame. Someone else might had mentioned that word precision but not me. Maybe on VC winding, but then this still related to my CNC winding machine.

I had a chance to know a few speaker cone manufacturing factories in China and Malaysia. And understand their process.

The mold they used is not a simply just a lathe machine or a CNC machine to produce it. The mold is a sheet metal made porous using chemical etching. This is to allow the draining of the water from the paper pulp.

Then a heating mold which is simply a male and female. Clamp shut to bake the cone on the mold.

And to the topic on CNC

CNC machining is not costly, When You Got Quantity... That's how I produce my speaker frame from CNC... "Quantity"

Last edited:
Never in any part of my posts mentioned precision other than my CNC Winding Machine and maybe on my speaker frame. Someone else might had mentioned that word precision but not me. Maybe on VC winding, but then this still related to my CNC winding machine.
I had a chance to know a few speaker cone manufacturing factories in China and Malaysia. And understand their process.
The mold they used is not a simply just a lathe machine or a CNC machine to produce it. The mold is a sheet metal made porous using chemical etching. This is to allow the draining of the water from the paper pulp.
Then a heating mold which is simply a male and female. Clamp shut to bake the cone on the mold.
And to the topic on CNC
CNC machining is not costly, When You Got Quantity... That's how I produce my speaker frame from CNC... "Quantity"

I was in the DIY field associated with small quantities and a slow production process, not about to design a high speed process in order to beat everything on Earth in the ecomomic competition (war is more adequate IMO)
Anyway, if you really plan to make a ultra fast mold in order to make few loudspeakers membranes in few minutes, it can also be done with the old lathe and a sintered material.
  • The honest proposition :
  • sintered positive mold = 200
  • negative mold = 400
I'm a little expensive because the relative precision between the two molds must be very high in order to have a constant cone thickness.

PS : a DIY coated turned plaster have enough geometrical precision to hit the 0,5mm tolerance zone on the larger side of the final paper part and it was on a very large cone.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.