Curvy Chang - Which speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello , i am new around here and would like to start my first diy project. I have chosen curvy changs ( also would like to know what swoopy changs are , saw something around here about them but couldn't find much info, seemed interesting that someone said they go down to 30hz ) but i haven't made up my mind about what speakers to put in the cabs. I am looking atm at fostex fe207e and fostex fe206en. I am from romania and cannot find pioneer b20 around here , plus i would like to try a single speaker design.

Thanks alot for the replies. I have found the fe207 around here and even though you would probably give me a better price , the delivery would be alot as well.

I would also like to know if curvy chang is worth it over g chang and what would be the advantages , if any ? I was set on curvy because of looks but it would be alot easier the build the normal ones.

To be honest, the Curvy Chang might be a difficult first project. If you have previous woodworking experience, then I am sure you would be fine. If this is your first project, you might want to try something simpler first since it can be difficult to make things this large LOOK good (I am sure you could make a working enclosure).

I think that the advantage of this one is that it will provide a more cylindrical wave-front. This has some frequency response advantages, and you can get a little more bass extension since it can use the ceiling & floor to help transmit the bass. I could be wrong though, so someone should correct me if I am.

You don't have to use a supertweeter with the FE207E, as I feel is rather well demonstrated by Bob's FB-20 and FT-2000 FT-2000

While it does roll off above ~12KHz, esp. off axis, that's not necessarily such a bad thing as it keeps things smooth over extended periods, & it does still make 20KHz on-axis at about -6dB, give or take. If you want that extra HF energy, then yes, adding a supertweeter is beneficial, but it's certainly far from being a requirement, period.

I play some heavy-metal so i might use a supertweeter. What do you recommend ( up to 100$ the pair , or maybe only a bit higher ).

If you want to keep in the Fostex line, that budget pretty much restricts you to the FT17H

of course, the FT96H is a much prettier unit, and in all likelihood "sounds better", but I just have trouble spending more money on the last octave or so (depending on just where you decide to XO) than for the 8 or 9 preceding

FT17H as Chris said.

You won't find a great deal of information above 10KHz in most metal & what harmonics there are will likely be crushed into an unintelligable mush by the massive compression metal albums are usually subjected to these days. Tragically. The remastered Iron Maiden albums for e.g. are an insult to the material, and the group, and their listeners.

FT17H as Chris said.

You won't find a great deal of information above 10KHz in most metal & what harmonics there are will likely be crushed into an unintelligable mush by the massive compression metal albums are usually subjected to these days. Tragically. The remastered Iron Maiden albums for e.g. are an insult to the material, and the group, and their listeners.

for an interesting take on "acoustic metal?" - actually these two are a little hard to classify , have you tried

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Rodrigo y Gabriela

worth the price alone for STH and Orion, and not insulting to this general non fan of the genre

apparently available on vinyl as well

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.