Curvy Chang Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there is a thread for changs already, but mine are coming out so well i just wana share with you guys my build so far :D

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

Whattya think?

Thanks! I recon they almost look oriental, with red and black.

The red matches the feature wall in my lounge ;) didnt get a chance to lug them home yet, the black gloss will take a while to fully cure, but ill take some more photo's when i have more progress :) included will be some driver modifications too, once i receive them!

James

one thing we did on these, to avoid end-grain on the front curves not painting properly, we cut thin strips of a hard wood (Mirante?) a few millimeters thick and just a touch wider than the width, then glued and sanded them flush.... it was a little extra work but the end finnish was oh-so worth it. You cant see in the photos but on the curve there is a little bit of grain coming through on the front but it looks good like that ;)

All DONE! :D

and my GOD do they sound great, :D ive thrown everything from The Doors, to Japaneese Drumming, to heavy Drum & Bass, Trance, Dub Step, Vocals, 1930's swing, 30cc, and WOW! so, so clear. And the bass is so articulated!

woop! i'm one happy man! and the good news is i bought 2 of everything as far as drivers, tweeters and caps go, so might build another pair to sell so some lucky sod can get to listen like i can haha !

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01072.jpg

DSC01071.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

under $200 australian inc. shipping, ill do a more detailed billing if you guys like.

It would have been nice top hear what the original plan of using Fostex 207e's but as you probably know they are no longer avalible. (except for Planet10's awesome modified drivers, which were unfortunatly out of my budget for this project)

the bass is amazing, its not boomy like most soundsystems i have had the displeasure of listening too, hard to explain, its just articulated and musical, like it should be :)

im using the Dayton tweeters, with Dayton 2uF caps. it addes just the right amount of top end sparkle, where the Pioneer BOFU start to naturally roll off. And i must add, especailly off axis, it makes them listenable, as i found the pioneers have a very narrow sweet spot.

Dave, thinking about ordering some of your phase plugs for the pioneers, will they make much difference to the sound? less "oil can resonance"? to be honest, maybe my ears arnt trained, but i cant hear any resonance. bass is fast too, could be a little more impact on snare etc, wondering it removing the dustcap & installing phase plugs will help with this.

Bass could be louder, might have used too much stuffing in my boxes, but in saying this, im still very impressed, they are only 8" after all!

Cheers everyone =)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It would have been nice top hear what the original plan of using Fostex 207e's but as you probably know they are no longer avalible. (except for Planet10's awesome modified drivers, which were unfortunatly out of my budget for this project)

As of a couple weeks ago Madisound still had 40+ units. And a pr are being "given away" on the swapmeet. Unless it is a crazy day they are probably gone by now thou.

thinking about ordering some of your phase plugs for the pioneers, will they make much difference to the sound? less "oil can resonance"? to be honest, maybe my ears arnt trained, but i cant hear any resonance. bass is fast too, could be a little more impact on snare etc, wondering it removing the dustcap & installing phase plugs will help with this.

Yes, they benefit from phase plugs. If you get some maybe some of the unfinished ones -- otherwise you'd be doubling your driver investment :)

Without the damper from the air pocket under the cap, you might get a bit more zip in the bottom.

dave

@ repeddler, the enclosures were undercoated in marine grade high-fill, the black is good quality single pack high gloss black, and the red is just satin from painting the feature wall in my lounge, so it matches the room at my house! :)

@ motosapien, thanks very much!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.