Current State Of Digital

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Go ahead.....build it........

Remember: attention to details matters. All the schematics in the world won't guarantee results.

I have used: NPC 5813/43, and DF1704, along with AD1862, PCM1702/4. And maybe a few more that I can't remember.

All of these filters put out less ultrasonic junk than the SAA7220. The '7220 has a zero in its response to cancel out one of the 3 poles in the analog post filter that Philips uses. Why they did this, I do not know. But I do know that it lets out more junk. Maybe Signoro Tent has some insight here.

If you like digital filters that spit out lots of junk, look at some of the early Wadia stuff. (The latter stuff may be different, who cares about them anymore?)

Ultrasonic junk + op-amp I/Vs may make for bad sound. My setups have neither, so maybe that is why I like o/s so much.

Non-o/s setups have junk too, but at a lower frequency, and perhaps the op-amps can tolerate it a bit better as it is closer to the AF range. Just maybe............

And a lot of them use a conventional amp arrangement, as oppesed to I/Vs where the virtual ground can be shifted by feedback induced errors. Just maybe.......

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.