Current-Amp to drive bass guitar cab?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for your link...
You're very welcome. :)

Please do keep in mind that the above link contains statements such as "In Current-drive the bass and hi-frequencies appear to spring to life with clarity and detail", which is incorrect. It's just hyperbole, one person's subjective and biased opinion. Not engineering reality at all.

What is actually true is "With current drive, the frequency response of a speaker changes. Compared to voltage drive, bass and treble are artificially boosted, and I (the author of this article) personally prefer the sound of this artificially boosted bass and treble response."

Like the author of that article, many people do prefer the sound of artificially boosted bass and treble for music listening, and many home loudspeaker systems were engineered to produce this. However this type of frequency response, by reducing the amount of midrange frequencies, makes for a less accurate and revealing loudspeaker. It hides some of the detail in the music. It is not Hi-Fi (which requires accurate frequency response), but rather, "My-Fi", i.e. a subjective personal preference, and one which has downsides as well as upsides.

When it comes to a guitar amplifier, however, there is no such thing as "Hi-Fi". Accurately reproduced electric guitars sound unpleasant. The purpose of a good guitar amp and speaker is to make the guitar sound good. So if bass and treble boost help with this goal, they are perfectly reasonable things to incorporate.

-Gnobuddy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What is actually true is "With current drive, the frequency response of a speaker changes. Compared to voltage drive, bass and treble are artificially boosted, and I (the author of this article) personally prefer the sound of this artificially boosted bass and treble response."

More accurately, whereever the impedance of the speaker rises the FR rises.

dave

More accurately, whereever the impedance of the speaker rises the FR rises.
dave
Thank you, agreed! And in a modern multi-way system with internal passive crossover networks, that could make the frequency response look like a roller coaster. :)

I think that these articles referencing valve amps from decades ago also implicitly assume a single full-range loudspeaker, of the sort invariably used back then, and still used today for electric guitars. Because of the impedance characteristics of a single full-range moving-coil loudspeaker, these will indeed tend to produce boosted bass and treble.

-Gnobuddy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.