cup jewels vs vee jewels. Please help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I am trying to fix/make the bearing for a Pink Triangle export turntable. The cup jewel on the spindle is damaged. The rest of the bearing assembly (including the ball) is missing.
I am considering a sapphire ball working between two cup jewels. I believe that is pretty much what was there. The diameter of the ball obviously has to be smaller than the diameter of the cups but; any suggestions on how much smaller? Does anyone know where I can get the parts? I know I can get the balls at smallparts.com but they don’t have cup jewels only vee jewels, which I believe will add a lot more friction than the cups.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Fernando.

Fernando, I just found this company online. They sell what you are looking for. Good luck! :)
http://www.swissjewel.com/sapphire_cup_jewels.htm

fernando said:
Hello
I am trying to fix/make the bearing for a Pink Triangle export turntable. The cup jewel on the spindle is damaged. The rest of the bearing assembly (including the ball) is missing.
I am considering a sapphire ball working between two cup jewels. I believe that is pretty much what was there. The diameter of the ball obviously has to be smaller than the diameter of the cups but; any suggestions on how much smaller? Does anyone know where I can get the parts? I know I can get the balls at smallparts.com but they don’t have cup jewels only vee jewels, which I believe will add a lot more friction than the cups.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Fernando.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I find myself in the same situation with a newly acquired PT1.
The jewel has disappeared. Has anyone successfully installed a
replacement jewel? It's true tha the Funk Firm can supply a new
bearing at £190 ouch! I read that the brass part that the jewel
sits in can be pulled out of the aluminium holder so it should be
easy to fit a replacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.