Crossover tips for my self-measured speaker

Hi guys!
First build with my own mic, speaker build and dats v3. I am doubting whether or not i have done everything correctly

I measured in rew with an UMIK-1 calibrated and with the distance of a meter from the tweeter level for both measurements. It didnt look to good on the REW measurements of the ScanSpeak woofer, until i applied 1/6 of an octave of smoothing. Is it too much?

Tweeter was easy and looked very smooth

I then imported into xsim and have some trouble with making the woofer not being all that smooth. I now use a graph that make the woofer look better, than it probably is. Am i wrong for doing this?

I guess my question is. Do you guys see any problems with my measurements or crossover design. I have probably made some blunders that i am not aware of.

I have posted the measurements of the frequency respones and impedances below.

1711283545947.png

Attachments

• ScanSpeak 18W 4434G00.zma
    11.3 KB · Views: 17
  • ScanSpeak R204 8333000.zma
    11.2 KB · Views: 21
  • diskant.mdat
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • bas.mdat
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If you haven't done your gating, then don't put too much stock in the variations. It's not so bad to smooth the woofer if that's the option available to you, since compensating for these bumps might not be a good thing.

Have you considered turning on phase for the individual plots?

Hi. I didnt even know gating was a thing. I understand some in speakers, But measurements is a whole new thing! I guess i could.

Do i have to make new measurements or is mine okay? I also put my rew measurements so they could be checked if anybody wanted to

I guess Im worried that i make a bad crossover for some wrong measurements.

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I suggest you check airtightness of your woofer enclosure (unless you deliberately used lots of dampening material between driver and port). The rather high impedance "valley" between the two bass reflex peaks indicates rather high losses.

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
are ported and there is felt and acoustilux in Them
If you are satisfied with the bass output there is no need to do anything, of course.
Is the dampening material between driver and port? If so and you want to increase the bass output you could move the dampening "out of the way".
But again, it was just an observation that is not related to your initial question.

Edit:
The uneven woofer measurement is probably due to room influence and may not be a problem.
I would try to even out the broad tweeter bump around 2 kHz and increase its output above 4 kHz.
:)

Last edited: