Crossover point help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I just built a pair of line arrays with 10 JBL 4.5" Vifa drivers, purchased on closeout from PE about 9 months ago. Their frequency response chart shows them pretty flat up to 6khz if that's relevant. For my tweeter I'm using a single Fountek JP-2.0. Drivers are power tapererd 3-2-T-2-3.

I'm using a Behringer DCX2496 crossover and have up to 8th order crossovers available to me. I will not be purchasing any measuring equipment for at least 6 months due to buying a new house soon and some other financial obligations so I have no way of knowing how well they measure until then. What I am looking for, until then, are suggestions on which slope should be optimal and about where I should place my x-over. My ears are not fine tuned at all. I set the x-over at LR-48 at 3khz, then moved it to 1.5khz and couldn't tell the difference! I see in some designs people running the tweeter at 1.1-1.3khz, and other designs much higher. Any idea where I should run this Fountek? CtC spacing on my woofers is about 5.75", but with 8th order available to me, I'm not so sure if the combing effects are of much concern.

Thanks!

So you have some JBL 10 in. drivers, some Vifa 4.5 in. and a Fountek tweeter.
1. The Fountek should be crossed pretty high. I'd try it at 4 or 5kHz (perhaps even higher).
2. The Vifa will probably make it to 5 kHz
3. The JBL could be crossed in between 80 and 160Hz.

First listen to the Vifa (without Xover) alone. Then try the Vifa with a low pass and add the tweeter at the highest frequency.
When the integration of the Vifa and Fountek is succesfull, adding the low part is a piece of cake. Driving the Fountek too low will burn it, so stay clear of Xover freq. lower than 3 kHz.

You will have to deal with efficiency mis-match, and do it two drivers at a time.

Also, I gather that the Vifa drivers are in their own sub enclosures (a must).

I am not too sure about the 8th order slope... This is kind of a brick wall.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.