Crossover location

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somewhere dry and at best free of vibrations.
Many installers glue them on the inside of the door panel. I don’t recommend this; they get water, dust and often come loose, but its easy because theres room and you dont have to run 2 sets of wires through the door grommet.......peps just being lazy IMO.

My favorite places to mount them is behind the kick panel if there’s room or under the dash as long as the wire terminals will not get grounded and if you have the room to zip tie them up so they wont start drooping after a few miles.

Something else to be taken into account:

If the crossover has air core coils and it is placed very close to metal surfaces, crossover frequencies will shift. One or two inches of clearance are recommended. If the metal is ferrous (like iron or steel), hysteresis distortion may arise too.

I normally mount them by suspending them in the door panels in the openings in the door's sheet metal; for example, in the last Grand Cherokee I worked on, there was a semi-rectangular opening near the mid/bottom section.

There I used self-tapping screws to mount the crossovers to the sheet metal (using "plumber's tape", from Lowe's, prepunched metal hanging roll) and machine screws to the actual crossover.

That way I placed them out of the way of moisture and away from nearby metal/coming loose.

Also, this allows you to avoid an extra cable run to the doors in "typical" (read: non-"Pro") installations since you're using existing wiring before splitting off to mid/tweeter.

:snoopy:

Jonny Hotnuts said:
Somewhere dry and at best free of vibrations.
Many installers glue them on the inside of the door panel. I don’t recommend this; they get water, dust and often come loose, but its easy because theres room and you dont have to run 2 sets of wires through the door grommet.......peps just being lazy IMO.

My favorite places to mount them is behind the kick panel if there’s room or under the dash as long as the wire terminals will not get grounded and if you have the room to zip tie them up so they wont start drooping after a few miles.

could not agree more but would like to add to the grounding problem if you have room under your dash or in your kick panel to mount your Xovers get an old bicycle inner tube and cut it up to glue or cable tie it to the metal that it might come in contact with and if you are going to use screws to mount it to a flat piece of sheet metal you can also place a piece under it to help with some vibration .if you have to mount them in the doors use some cable ties and wrap a piece arount them but use:att'n: when doing so to still allow air to get to them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.