Crossover in Thiel CS 1.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I've been redesigning crossvers for a Thiel CS 1.2 I've just been using online crossover calcs and so far its been Ok. They are going to be used for a spare room and listening will be done at low volume.

The woofer X-0ver is a 2nd order starting at 2.2 Khz and the tweeter is a 1st order starting at 3.5khz I'm not using the original tweeter. I'm using an old Vifa softdome that gets its life sucked out everytime I've tried a 2nd order or above. The vifa woof (the original in the Thiel) gets very peaky when pushed close to the 3khz mark (which is why I used a 2nd order). I'm finally at my question:
If a 2nd order is used on the woof and a 1st order on the tweet, what is the phase relationship betweem the two? Am I 135 degress apart? (woofer is 90 one way, tweet is 45 the other???)

Thanks.

Greg

Hi guys,

I've been redesigning crossvers for a Thiel CS 1.2 I've just been using online crossover calcs and so far its been Ok. They are going to be used for a spare room and listening will be done at low volume.

The woofer X-0ver is a 2nd order starting at 2.2 Khz and the tweeter is a 1st order starting at 3.5khz I'm not using the original tweeter. I'm using an old Vifa softdome that gets its life sucked out everytime I've tried a 2nd order or above. The vifa woof (the original in the Thiel) gets very peaky when pushed close to the 3khz mark (which is why I used a 2nd order). I'm finally at my question:
If a 2nd order is used on the woof and a 1st order on the tweet, what is the phase relationship betweem the two? Am I 135 degress apart? (woofer is 90 one way, tweet is 45 the other???)

Thanks.

Greg
You can say there is a phase relation with the xover alone, but this is not the case because you have real drivers. (That's a common mistake). Also phase changes in frequency. You will have to measure the phase for the drivers and then simulate it with the xover. If you can not do that (measurements) for the time being, we can have a (very similar/other/parameters) speaker drivers simulation with your posted xover. Don't forget distance (between center of drivers/angle) is also important in this case for time alignment (see graph).

Attachments

• JBL.tn_v3n01_TimeAligned.gif
    JBL.tn_v3n01_TimeAligned.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.