Crossover for cheap DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ohh, i wasn't thinking about that wolf, now i understand your design.

Okey, i will look that sites and tell you.

At PETT forum they suggested me to use the Duane Brown design, i don't know if on reality it would be better or there is a problem on my sim but the highs looks too much peaky.

fetch

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
There is atenuation with distance and also off axis, so you really has to try what filtering suits you best imho. If flat at listening position, yes the treble will have some sibilance for most people, but the sim and meaurment are often made on-axis 1 meter... Which could sound a little peaky is often peaks at 3 to 4 k hz and around 6 & 8 k hz. The treble range should not have a spl above the mids, even 1 meter on axis imho. So nothing really wrong.

There is atenuation with distance and also off axis, so you really has to try what filtering suits you best imho. If flat at listening position, yes the treble will have some sibilance for most people, but the sim and meaurment are often made on-axis 1 meter... Which could sound a little peaky is often peaks at 3 to 4 k hz and around 6 & 8 k hz. The treble range should not have a spl above the mids, even 1 meter on axis imho. So nothing really wrong.

I have been trying to recreate that situation on VituixCAD2 but when the listener moves away the highs gets much more noisy instead of flatter jajaja
I believe you but looks like i don't know how to sim that.

I'm thinking about if there is or not enought room to improve the Duane Brown design and if it's worth it.
People says that is pretty good, gives me the feeling that is something to change but i'm sure who did that knows much more than me.

Someone did this measurement of Duanes design and looks pretty good, i don't know what i'm doing wrong.
(Measurement thread Duane Brown "Dayton 4" Deluxe version -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum
)

fetch

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I don't know either, just used a little XSim few weeks ago, so quite new to me as well. The inputt is just from measured speaker i have for real and designed by eperienced people. With Jeff Bagby shareware if you manage the bafle step at - 3 dB something then you know the spl the tweeter circa should see at crossover area I assume. As far the average spl level of the mid is higher than the tweeter the loudspeaker will sound correct. No problem at sweet spot, for instance 3 meters 30° you have -10 db between circa 200 hz and 20 k hz. You can start from the design people testimonied it is sounding ok, listen in your home area... then tweak.

Hi Bob. If you are talking about the Duanes design the crossover is around 5kHz, there is no danger with the resonant freq.
If you was talking about my design it will probably be wrong, i'm thinking if it is worth the time and exta money on the crossover over the Duanes version.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.