• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Crosley radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old crosley radio i got for $5 at a thrift store but i am having trouble identifying it. I think its from the late 50s but im not sure. It doesnt seem to work when i turn ehat i think to be the volum pot it cracles little bit I will get pics later. the model number is p50wen and it says chasis 5060p

the tubes are 1R5, 1t4, 1u5

it also has some hookups for batteries one "A" and 2 "B" batteries

Any help would be apreciated maybe i can make a good amp out of it who knows

Heres some pics

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If anyone needs more pics just let me know

I'm wondering what i would need to do to get it working again.
If i cant i don't want to just give up on it I wonder what i could do with it. If there are any ideas please do tell me.

Well i tested all the tubes and they were all at about 80 100 being the highest and when i got them all back in i tried plugging it back in and it worked for a good maybe 2 minutes for the first time then just stopped. Nothing like hearing a tube radio start up makes ya feel all good and warm inside. Tomorrow i'm gona go through and see if i can find any problems. if anyone has any ideas please tell me.

Redfoxfur said:
How can i test them?

Don't bother. Just replace it. Electrolytics don't last forever, and after a half-century it's probably no good.

i am a little confused on what the components marked 1st I.F and 2nd I.F are.

Double tuned transformers for the IF strip.

Also, did you try running it off batteries? Another thing to replace is the SS diode. Back in those days, they probably used a selenium diode, and those don't last forever either. Also dangerous if you poof it. Replace with a silicon diode.

I will have to find batteries for it it gives replacement battery types but i dont think any of them are made anymore it takes one 7 1/2 volt for "A" and two 45 volt batteries for "B".

What number do i use to find the replacement cap it gives me a few

40 MFD 150 VDC

350 MFD 10 VDC

Redfoxfur said:
I will have to find batteries for it it gives replacement battery types but i dont think any of them are made anymore it takes one 7 1/2 volt for "A" and two 45 volt batteries for "B".

Ten 9.0V "transistor" batts ought to do it. You can power up the heaters with five of the 1.5V "AA" cells.

What number do i use to find the replacement cap it gives me a few

40 MFD 150 VDC

350 MFD 10 VDC

You can probably find something at Mouser.

^^^^

You already said you need a 40uF / 150V and a 350uF / 10V, so that's what you order.

These days, you'll need a 47uF / 150V and a 470uF / 16V: they changed the standard values since the day that Crosley was built. You will need two separate capacitors since they don't make those multi-can jobs anymore, and that one was probably a custom made dealy anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.