CREST Catastrophe

Thanks Ulogon, great link. I have a will have to plot the temp vs fan voltage characteristics with my simple mod ( shunting R11 and R13 with another 1k on page 2). 9 volts at 75 degrees F is great, I will have to see if there is sufficient voltage increase as things heat up.

Regarding LF response, I had shunted C8 in the HIGH PASS cct on page 4, with 20 ufd. This produced a rise in response at 5 Hz. Reducing the shunt to 10 ufd reduced the rise but there is still a rise. It's always a mistake to contradict the experts...but could I not simply find a value for C8 that is somewhere between 2.2ufd (too much roll-off) and 10 ufd (too much boost)?
Thanks again and pardon my stubbornness, I am always looking for the easy way out!
Peter

Attachments

• page 2.pdf
    214.5 KB · Views: 18
  • page 4.pdf
    115.5 KB · Views: 14
Yes, exploring the genius of others is why I'm here!;
Thanks Sajti, you were right again of course! I added 4 ufd to both C 8 and C 30. Response is now flat to 5 Hz and down about 20% at 3 Hz. Exactly what I wanted. I have ordered four 6.8 ufd 63 V film capacitors as well as 12 new caps for the power supply, over $500 CDN---ouch!
Hope to have this gentrified Crest back in the rack soon...the big 35 mm dia x 118 mm caps are on backorder...

Slowly coming together!
I have spent way too much time on this project! So many modifications to this amp. Initially I dipped the transformer 20 times in electrical vanish to stop the buzzing noise. Fans were replaced with quieter models. I abandoned the idea of making it passively cooled, instead modifying the fan control circuits for a lower voltage at room temp. The high pass filter was modified to be about 3 db down at 3 Hz instead of 15 Hz. This was an excuse to buy my latest toy, a Leader Function generator.
One final modification, I have to cut a hole in the top cover to accommodate the taller caps. After months of searching, it was impossible to find caps that fit. Strange, new caps are usually smaller.
I really don't like the idea of cutting the cover, but it's not like this amp will ever be a vintage piece.
PS; Thanks for the help from you folks here on Diyaudio

Attachments

• DSCN3149.JPG
    DSCN3149.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3153.JPG
    DSCN3153.JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 18
  • HIGH PASS mod.JPG
    HIGH PASS mod.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi Folks, a little update. It took 10 weeks for the "18,000 ufd" caps to arrive from China. Sure enough, they only measure 15,000 ufd but the big deal breaker was the height. The ad claimed 35*118 mm but they are actually 35*130 mm. I wouldn't be able to get the lid on.
At the moment I have temporarily installed four 9,500 ufd caps for the low rails and I hear no audible hum. I will purchase 15,000 ufd caps from North American supplier and be happy about it.
Thanks for all your help with the fan speed issue. As per wg_ski, I shunted R11 and R13 with another 1k resistor, and left R19 on the preamp board as the stock value. The fans run at about 8 or 9 volts at room temp and is quite tolerable. I will measure the voltage increase with temp asap.
Thanks everyone for your input
Nice clamp meter i have on my bench one ex623.