Craftsmanship and engineering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Engineering post

Fred Dieckmann said:
"You probably have to ask Fred, to post some engineering illustrations"

Someone might even ask why you are using the type of Caddocks that are no where near the good Caddocks.......
I will leave it to you to research as you desire.

BTW I don't know what solder you use but lead free silver solder joints don't look as nice as regular solder. They but sound better. There are ways to do composite solder joints for sonics and looks and good wetting. More R and D. as I know you don't want to discuss proprietary stuff on the forum.

First answer is simple, this is the only type my supplier stocks. I tried it almost by accident, ot works fine, isn't too expensive, so I don't feel like looking for anything better. I tried $27 a pc. Vishay S102 in this location and it was no match. I actually did my R&D here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=18874#post18874. One reason I didn't even consider TF020 is too big lead spacing and overall size.

Having such nice experience withthose Caddocks in a feedback loop, I thought they will be also great as I/V resistors in TDA1543 circuit. But, no, the Rikens are much better here, more neutral and transparent. I still didn't find a single location where Vishays S102 sound good. To me, they are too soft and laid back. Actually I'm using them in swithing volume control in my monoblocks and they seem fine there. It may be true that they are most neutral, but I prefer more "spice" to my music.

Second, I'm using Cardas solder. I had a hard choice between few other brands, but somebody suggested: if you are using Cardas binding posts and Cardas wire, why not go with Cardas solder? You see?;)

I also tried silver solder and didn't like it.

BTW, I like your other post much better;)

Hi,
Please read this to understand about acoustic feedback.
Russ Andrews - Firm Foundations

I cannot hear fine differences (although I think that is partially down to a lack of huge numbers of comparisons). However I'm not saying it doesn't happen - in fact I'm sure it does. I'm not sure you could even measure such differences. I would go as far as saying that I'm GLAD I can't hear it - because I spend less time perfecting everything - before deciding it's a dead loss and starting again!

Anyway, my excuse for trying to make nice looking equipment is presentability & good engineering. I think most CD recordings nowadays are fairly mono & 2D anyway.

Just my 2p worth.
Gaz

Re: Re: Engineering post

Peter Daniel said:

First answer is simple, this is the only type my supplier stocks. I tried it almost by accident, ot works fine, isn't too expensive, so I don't feel like looking for anything better. I tried $27 a pc. Vishay S102 in this location and it was no match. I actually did my R&D here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=18874#post18874. One reason I didn't even consider TF020 is too big lead spacing and overall size.

Having such nice experience withthose Caddocks in a feedback loop, I thought they will be also great as I/V resistors in TDA1543 circuit. But, no, the Rikens are much better here, more neutral and transparent. I still didn't find a single location where Vishays S102 sound good. To me, they are too soft and laid back. Actually I'm using them in swithing volume control in my monoblocks and they seem fine there. It may be true that they are most neutral, but I prefer more "spice" to my music.

Second, I'm using Cardas solder. I had a hard choice between few other brands, but somebody suggested: if you are using Cardas binding posts and Cardas wire, why not go with Cardas solder? You see?;)

I also tried silver solder and didn't like it.

BTW, I like your other post much better;)

You followed that idiots advice? I do very seriuosly recommend trying the Wonder wire from M Percy though. It is a very good a neutral wire used by Counrtpoint and Steve McCormak and has the mechanical properties and solderability you need.

Wonder Wire: A proprietary design high performance 19ga solid core, silver clad high purity copper with a unique crystal structure, uninsulated

www.percyaudio.com

Warning extreme hyperbola alert but WTH:
http://members.aol.com/trtwonder/

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
:drink:

Oh... I played golf today with a man who works about industrial vibration. He is a PHD. He said if something is inside water, its natual resonance frequency is lowered because the water acts as added mass, i.e. according to (k/m)^0.5, where k is stiffness and m is mass.

Hello... am I in the right place?

:drunk:

Yep!
INFINICAP: where's the patent?

there are a handfull of ways to pull a thin metal film, to metallize polyprop. and most definitely one way to make polypropylene in high yield in a chemical reactor.
Add to that only a handful of capacitor winding machines types.

I am not going to say who but I found a place where they claim to be using a process I used at work a few times to produce certain components and I saw NO sign of that process being used on their pictured final product.

This is not politics it's science and technology. Things can be proven right or wrong. Most of them today, some of them in the near future. I don't understand why debating this simple thruth.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have made the erased post, honestly after having reading Post#1 and few others. This time I have re-read the thread from the beginning to the end for a self evaluation of what I have done wrong.

It seems that mine has been deemed as cynical view of Post#29. Hey, Peter Daniel, I feel very sorry for it, but I have not thought of the cynicism on a person at all. It has happened just by coincidence. I hope you will understand that.

Anyhow, my meaning in the erased post has been on topic so that I keep unhappy feeling about the ignorant cut-off, although I fully understand SY's position.

All the best.

:yinyang:

Do you mean "erased" or "moved"? If erased, it was probably in error, for which I apologize. If you mean just moved elsewhere, that sort of thing is always a judgement call, especially when it concerns both on and off topic material.

Also, by moving stuff, we are NOT saying that you've done anything wrong, we're just trying to reduce the clutter for other people trying to follow the on-topic part of the thread.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
SY

I mean "exiled" from the original thread. What is the definition of "erased" or "removed" is not an issue. In this thread, some posters claim that different components cause different sounds. Then, the topic of the thread should be "different components cause different sound?" For example, if I claim an unkind opposite comment, saying "no, not exactly so," then am I talking about off-topic?

Maybe, your reason should have been that I have made the post in a primitive way. Then, I could understand the case better. Sorry for the noise. No more talking about this matter, I will do.

All the best.

:yinyang:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.