Cowbell

At realistic levels, this recording of an actual cowbell should have a visceral feel and make your ears tingle. Test your speakers.

BTW, buy your own cowbell. I use this for an "almost" blind A-B test. If you can wave your cowbell in front of your left speaker and see if folks can't tell if the speaker or the bell is playing*.

Unlike the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, you actually CAN define what it means to play a cowbell in your music room. And less incendiary than doing an A-B with Danley's fireworks in your room.

B.
* Learned persons may dispute the precise value of a recording made in my fairly dead room and played in yours, even a close-mic'ed one. They might favour a recording made out of doors on a rope suspension bridge.

Attachments

• Cowbell recording 2019 Jun 25.mp4
    1.4 MB
Last edited:
I guess a lot of sounds, whether well recorded or badly, can have a visceral effect and make one's ears tingle when played loud enogh. ;)...

In the abstract that is true... for whatever might be the value of abstract word-play.

But the visceral feeling of the ability to realistically reproduce powerful transients is different from the feeling you get standing next to a car with an awful audio system cranked very loud.

B.

...which mic you used, and how it was positioned relative to the instrument
The familiar Parts Express EMM condenser mic, Behringer mic mixer, and phantom power supply, $4 old Creative DAC from Salvation Army. Mic on mic boom, 90-degree orientation, maybe a foot or two from cowbell. I hope this addresses your question and sorry I can't be more precise.

It was a gen-U-ine us$3.99 Harbor Freight steel cowbell:

Got a fever? Steel Cowbell - The Prescription For More Cowbell Sound

B.

Here's a picture of my cow bell.

B.

Attachments

• cowbell picture.jpeg
    cowbell picture.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 45