coupling caps 3 approaches

Joined 2005
Paid Member
dF 96 — electrolytic capacitors also have inductance from the foil winding.
The larger the cap typically the higher the inductance, the inductance limits the slew rate of current flow especially at higher frequencies. Smaller caps = lower inductance = faster response. But you knew all that...........

Best to use bipolar electrolytics , and two back to back bipolars is even better.
See Cyril Bateman‘s extensive capacitor tests.

https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linear...0 to 100uF caps and 100 Hz measurements_0.pdf

Last edited:
As has been suggested, on this and other forums, it can sometimes be hard to tell whether someone is ignorant (and thus, potentially, teachable) or just being difficult for reasons which are unclear.

Dave,
As mentioned before, respectfully, our experiences differ. I myself am still waiting for any acceptable sign/utterance from the OP to convince me that he is not simply trolling. finish. If he feels hurt by that (seeing that he seems to be taking long leave), fine. Who said that life (or its participants) are fair...... Perhaps some have learnt from this thread where doubt existed before (I do not mean regarding the OP; we have done. I mean regarding electronic principles.)

Frecrowder,

For ideal caps, yes one can. Point is that where electrolytics have been used as coupling caps, hopefully there was a d.c. difference between the coupling points, otherwise why not use non-polars from the start? But there is a distinct difference in leakage current between electrolytics of whatever kind and say polyester or such - that is what Tony implied. In fact, the only reason for using electrolytics at all is still size.

Imagine using a say 1000µF 450V polyester capacitor for filtering/coupling. Excellent - but the size (if manufactured at all)? As Tony implied, all capacitors have greatly decreased in size as well as increased in efficiency. But still 'horses for courses'.
Apology! My reply above is to your post #38. Seems I have overlooked the subsequent contributions since! Still. Non-polar/bi-polar capacitors also have inductance, but I have never found such bothersome in any electrolytic unless the circuit is - er - rather sensitive.
.......and I can thoroughly recommend the mentioned series by Cyril Bateman!

Last edited:
... unless I throw one at your head! :D

Interested in capacitor **speed**???

Couldn´t find exactly that but Lithium Battery speed ... literally; results should be real close :cool:

Will 2000 FPS be fast enough? :eek:

These funny/crazy guys shoot *anything* (and I mean ANYTHING) out of their shotgun barrels, as long as it fits inside a 12 Ga shell.

Here they shoot 123 type Lithium cells, and I´m certain some capacitors (both electrolytic and film) will fit there too, so results should be comparable.

YouTube

I only fear showing this video will spark yet another fierce battle about capacitors ... including a bunch of snake oil or wholly subjective claims :rolleyes:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When I worked at Philips in Eindhoven, we used something like that to initiate newcomers.

We would put a large electrolytic under his chair, wired to a mains variac.
Wait till the unsuspecting victim was in the middle of a measurement and then slowly turn up the variac until first it starts smelling foul, then thick smoke starts to rise, finally (often, not always) a big bang.

Worked every time ;-)

As he said, don't try this at home!

Jan

Joined 2016
Paid Member
:D We used to wire big electrolytics into the mains point all along a bench. Then wait until the apprentice came in and flicked the breaker to turn the whole bench on.... bangbangbang!! That really woke people up!!

We had another guy who used to build real rat's nests of prototypes - 3d sculptures. Someone drilled a small hole through his bench, attached a long bit of thin tube. Then, would blow smoke through the tube at critical moments. Took him ages to figure out it wasn't his circuit...

Like the old adage - "electronics runs on smoke. You can tell this as when the smoke gets out, it stops working".....

i know someone who deliberately made firecrackers out of old ecaps by reverse volting, do not do this at home, what he did was put this inside of a 55 gallon drum open tops of course and detonated the damned cap.......happy new year....

I used to do this. Except instead of a 55 gallon drum I used a pop bottle.

6V-25V cap, connected to 120VAC... Like an electric cherry bomb :)

If I had a nickel for every time I tripped a breaker blowing up caps, I'd be a happy guy.

Never had a stones to use 240VAC though :D

But sadly, I now have fuses instead of breakers and don't like paying for replacements :p

For those interested in the results for the series cap. Here they are. No I will not be replying.

Setup
6cg7 tube with a constant current source
DC Bias mid 200 volt range
DC filter .2uf cap 100K to ground .15uf cap 100K to ground

DC bias leaked through the second cap is 0.5mv as measured by my HP3478A
Down 1.9dB at 30hz as compared to 1kHz. This was expected and is fine for this application

10Khz square wave is nice and clean

1kHz is ok but is affected by the 30hz response

Attachments

• tube10kh.bmp
    146.3 KB · Views: 57
  • tubecp21.bmp
    146.3 KB · Views: 53
Generally:

Not sure of the application (the attached images would not open). Where such small voltages were measured in a basic grid coupling circuit, it might well have been caused by electrons landing on the grid, not necessarily capacitor leakage per sé. The latter is best measured in a passive circuit. In capacitor coupled circuits it is normal to measure a few mV on the grid, depending on the measuring topology and circuit values.

cap leakage causes red plating....in a Fisher 500 receiver i repaired, the culprit was a coupling cap, replaced with a fresh one and problem fixed...

wrt coupling caps, i learned from the gurus here that one should use the minimum value of coupling cap that one can get away with...

Reactions: 1 user