Couple crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey this is my first post so I hope I did it in the right forum etc. Anyways I am very new to the whole diy audio stuff and my questions actually pertains to my car stereo. Sorry for rambling and thanks for any advice. First I have 2 4 ohm speakers (in parrallel so the amp is seeing 2 ohms) hooked up to my amp, no problem, well one of the speakers is actually a small mid tweeter combo which I would like to cut the frequencies at about 400hz or even a little higher, I am just a little confused on what cap to use I didn't know if the parrallel would affect what cap to use or just use the normal 4 ohm cap. Question number two I currently have 1 8 inch sub in a sealed box (the box is from the factory so it is nice and hidden so I want to keep it), it sounds good to my untrained ears but not quite enough low of the low end, also a little more volume would be nice. So I am thinking about adding a 10 (possibly 12 if not to big) inch sealed sub but I thought it would be nice to have the 10 just get the very low bass and medium bass, and the 8 get say the medium low bass to higher bass if that makes sense. I guess really I want to cross these over with a gradual slope. Right now my system is set up with the sub getting 120hz and below, I have a stereo sub amp I am currently running mono but I was thinking of running stereo and hopefully making the high pass low pass filter for the RCA line (put the high pass rca filter on say the right channel then the low pass rca filter on the left) I have seen these for sale in crutchfield but they sell for $30 a pair and since I only needed one of each I was hoping I could make a pair up cheaper. Thanks so much if you actually read this far and thanks for any advice.

Hi.
The fact that you have 2 speakers connected to the amp doesn't affect the value you should use for the cap, so use one for 4 ohms.
Regarding the sub I think you the best choice would be to replace your 8 inch sub, I think it will only be more trouble to have one Low and one high sub, a good quality 10 or 12 inch sub would work fine up to 120hz.
I Hope I've been helpful.
/Tobias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.