Counterpoint - A Fully Symmetrical I/V stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Performance notes

This things sounds really, really, nice... :)

One nice thing is that the output impedance is only about 187ohms, so passive attenuation is definitely doable directly into a Joshua tree. This is a real plus because this will effectively reduce the noise floor at low volumes.

Right now I am controlling the volume via the DAC and running straight out of the counterpoint. Using this method there is a very very faint hiss with ear to the driver. The funny thing about it is though is that when I power each counterpoint with it own complete distinct supply (trafo to LCBPS) it seems to go away(or reduce to the point where I cannot hear it).

Later I will try using JT attenuation.

Cheers!

Russ

I have a Sony DVP-NS9100ES player with Lars Clausen's new clock installed. I was quite surprised by the performance of this player with a quite complex outputstage based on OPA2132 buffers, and transistor output, coupled by film bypassed elyt caps.

Matthew at Sacdmods modifies this player with the transimpedance Zapfilter outputstage, but it is currently not available.

How would you think your Counterpoint stage will do with this player based on Ti DSD1796 currentoutput DAC (4mA p-p differential) ? I am only interested in singelended output at the moment. Will the Counterpoint come with instructions to use it with other DAC's than your Baffalo ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.