could use some help with a TAS5518 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I would go for this & it's not an experiment - I'm buying a T4 Hifimediy board & would be really interested in any solution you can come up with as I'm sure others would be. We can take this off-line, if you like?

The TAS5518 needs something to configure it every time it is powered on. Would it make sense to put an isolated USB interface on it? It could(would, unless I can find another way to do) communicate through a microcontroller to configure the TAS5518. The settings could be saved on the microcontroller, so once you have it configured it could run standalone, if desired. A microcontroller would also allow for physical controls, like knobs, a front panel, buttons, etc., for changing options without a computer, too.
Does that sound reasonable, or is there another preferred option?

The TAS5518 needs something to configure it every time it is powered on. Would it make sense to put an isolated USB interface on it? It could(would, unless I can find another way to do) communicate through a microcontroller to configure the TAS5518. The settings could be saved on the microcontroller, so once you have it configured it could run standalone, if desired. A microcontroller would also allow for physical controls, like knobs, a front panel, buttons, etc., for changing options without a computer, too.
Does that sound reasonable, or is there another preferred option?
Yes, the MCU is the biggest stumbling block to DIYing this, otherwise I guess there would be more boards out there. Initially, I imagine a bare bones, simple functioning board with just I2S to PWM, no vol control, etc. Maybe at a later stage this can be expanded to more functionality. This seems like the quickest way to gauge the interest with putting in a huge amount of development work, up front. What are your thoughts?

Yes, the MCU is the biggest stumbling block to DIYing this, otherwise I guess there would be more boards out there. Initially, I imagine a bare bones, simple functioning board with just I2S to PWM, no vol control, etc. Maybe at a later stage this can be expanded to more functionality. This seems like the quickest way to gauge the interest with putting in a huge amount of development work, up front. What are your thoughts?
the MCU part isn't necessarily difficult. I've already done it once with the one I built.
It looks like it might even be possible to build a programmer into the board without additional hardware while still allowing the computer to communicate to the MCU in the future. Then it would be easy for DIY. Then, firmware could be updated by anyone to change features as desired/needed. Simple firmware just to turn the thing on and configure it would only take a couple minutes, so the development wouldn't be delayed.

How about the power supply? should that come from whatever the PWM goes to?

the MCU part isn't necessarily difficult. I've already done it once with the one I built.
Great!
It looks like it might even be possible to build a programmer into the board without additional hardware while still allowing the computer to communicate to the MCU in the future. Then it would be easy for DIY. Then, firmware could be updated by anyone to change features as desired/needed.
This sounds excellent
Simple firmware just to turn the thing on and configure it would only take a couple minutes, so the development wouldn't be delayed.

How about the power supply? should that come from whatever the PWM goes to?
I will probably be using 3.3V LiFePO4 battery supply so no need for on board regulators for me - if including them, a way of bypassing regs would be good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.