Could someone explain this Leakage Current rating for this filter cap? (see in description)

I'm looking for replacement filter capacitors for my amp and found a really good one, but by the spec sheet I can't tell the actual leakage current rating. Is 3 milli amps a maximum? Because if it was the actual one, then it's way too high. Here's the line from the data sheet:

Leakage Current.png

Here's the full document: Datasheet

I would appreciate if someone could explain it to me and possibly tell the actual rating.

Then it's at most 15.12 mA after 5 minutes at 63 V and 20 degrees Celsius. It may be a bit more before 5 minutes if it has been stored for a long time, and it will usually keep dropping to far below the maximum spec when you keep it under voltage for an hour or so.

Reactions: 1 user
So I = 0.02 x C x V is the formula to use when a capacitor is chosen. I understand it now, thank you. It seems like we can get the maximum, but the spec sheet doesn't specify the actual expected value unfortunately.

In this case I'm going to measure the leakage of the current caps then compare it to the new ones. I'm gonna use half the rated voltage to measure leakage, please let me know if you recommend different voltage level. Thanks again.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You only need the max to be sure it fits your need. It can be anything below that, varying in time and with voltage and temperature.
So measuring it only gives you a snapshot that doesn't say anything about the actual use after today.
The max spec implicitly means: 'we really don't know much about it but we're pretty sure it won't be more than this'.

Jan

You only need the max to be sure it fits your need. It can be anything below that, varying in time and with voltage and temperature.
So measuring it only gives you a snapshot that doesn't say anything about the actual use after today.
The max spec implicitly means: 'we really don't know much about it but we're pretty sure it won't be more than this'.

Jan
My idea is to remove and measure the one that's inside the amp which is working fine and doesn't introduce any noise. Then measure the new one too, and if the new one has a lower leakage, then I'm happy to use it.

This is a power supply in an audio amplifier (Marantz pm7200). I have limited knowledge about this but as I know we want the leakage current to remain in the micro amp range to avoid noise. I might be wrong, but haven't found a definite answer yet.

The PM7200 is almost certainly a classAB amp. As such the noise (aka 'ripple') on the main supply will be a function of the current drawn by the speakers in response to the audio signal and that's typically going to be orders of magnitude higher than 3mA. I'd not sweat it myself.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My idea is to remove and measure the one that's inside the amp which is working fine and doesn't introduce any noise. Then measure the new one too, and if the new one has a lower leakage, then I'm happy to use it.
So you select the cap on a spec that's irrelevant?
How about dissipation, life time, temp range? Those are relevant!

Jan