Could I use solid wood like walnut to construct my cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let the wood dry for a long time and treat both sides equally with oil, varnish etc. The risk is small in my opinion to use solid wood as long as the speakers are not exposed to extreme conditions (no PA usage).

(The granite on top is only used for mass-loading, there´s some on the inside as well).

Attachments

• HPIM5140.jpg
    HPIM5140.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 196
Let the wood dry for a long time and treat both sides equally with oil, varnish etc. The risk is small in my opinion to use solid wood as long as the speakers are not exposed to extreme conditions (no PA usage).

(The granite on top is only used for mass-loading, there´s some on the inside as well).

Nice driver!
Which one is it?
(the woofer, not the other.)

You need to think about expansion and contraction. Wood grows across the grain when the humidity goes up, and shrinks back when the air is drier. You can't stop it. Try this.... solid wood sides top and bottom with the grain going around the box. Then use plywood or MDF for the front and back. This avoids grain conflict.
Evan

I agree and used the same technics. At least, large enclosures should be done this way. Little enclosures are probably more tolerant.

Attachments

• Pre assembly.jpg
    Pre assembly.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Speaker 1.jpg
    Speaker 1.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 180
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.