Corner built-in speakers incl. 4 subs

Impressive setup! Bravo!

Two questions from me, I want to do something like you.
The question is: where is the listening position to get the best stereo image? In a equilateral triangle with the speakers? Do you feel the need for a Center speaker?

Thank you!

Hi,

I would say if you're the only listener I would do less toe-in and more towards an equilateral triangle but it depends also on which speaker chassis you use and what dispersion characteristic they have, how you room reflections are etc.
Your wood cuts will of course get more challenging if they're at 60deg instead of 45.

Since I wanted a wider sweet spot and admittedly easier 45deg cuts I went with the fairly pronounced toe-in that crosses listening axes in front of the listening position. This gives me fairly equal levels and decent frequency response across the whole seated area although with the other speakers ATMOS sound setup the best spot is still right in the middle.

Regarding the center: I haven't missed one for a long time. I had one with several early surround setups many years ago but I found
a) the common horizontal center speakers are never quite matching the different front speakers due to different chassis used
b) the position is never right, either above or below the screen
c) with a big screen b) gets much worse and the only way would be an acoustically transparent screen material

If I had a proper Home Cinema room, not my living room, I would probably strife for a THX like setup with 5-7 identical satellite speakers incl. the center, mostly behind an AT fixed screen but with my multi-purpose room compromise solution and much more space for front speakers vs. e.g. surrounds I put much more emphasis on the front (which in the end benefits me for music listening too).

Last edited: