Coral Beta

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
coral 8s

Best of luck in your search. I have a pair of Coral 8s in a rear-loaded horn and I'll part with them when they pry them from my cold dead fingers - What I'm saying of course is that not only are they rare, they're quite good too!
If you do have or find any information (specifications, T/S parameters etc.) about the 8s I'd very much appraciate it if you'd share it with me.

jac
Edmonton, Alberta

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: coral 8s

jac,

Welcome to the forum... any more snow?

dave

Attachments

• satmornab.jpg
    satmornab.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 565
Dave,

What's that white stuff in the pic?
It's so dry here at the moment that bushfires are springing up all over the place. It's going to be a smoky summer. Again.

I have some Peak coaxes, 10" with the tweeter mounted on a flange on the front of the frame, like some of the vintage EVs, and a solid magnet basket like Goodmans 201s. The guy I bought them off said they were made by Coral, and showed them to me in a vintage audio annual/almanac to prove it. The specs were identical to the Coral Beta 10's but all they had listed were the fs=32Hz, and qts=0.32.

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brett said:
What's that white stuff in the pic?

I believe it is frozen water that has fallen out of the sky*. The Eskimos have many names for it. The picture is from jac. His home town football team, the Eskimos, is a leading candidate to win the Grey Cup this year.

* i actually well know what snow is having grown up in Alberta, but we get it rarely here (althou during the blizard of '96 we got 36" in a single night, and 72" in 4 days -- still got a leak in the roof i haven't found from that storm.

I have some Peak coaxes, 10" with the tweeter mounted on a flange on the front of the frame, like some of the vintage EVs, and a solid magnet basket like Goodmans 201s. The guy I bought them off said they were made by Coral, and showed them to me in a vintage audio annual/almanac to prove it. The specs were identical to the Coral Beta 10's but all they had listed were the fs=32Hz, and qts=0.32.

Coral was a huge OEM in its heyday and built a broad range of drivers. I have had 8" Monarchs similar to what you describe (and am hoarding a set of 4 16 ohm Coral-made Monarch 4" similar to the FE103A that are very sweet). One of their more interesting drivers is a 13mm alnico dome tweeter that makes a marvelous super tweeter.

dave

Thanks Dave - There's snow again (from this past Sunday) and it's not getting much above 5C on the best of days. Yecch!
Hey, Here's something you'd be interested in. I found 4 Jensen horns (103S) at an auction for a buck. All work. I have two of them wired in with the Coral Horns with a little 2.2 cap - You wanna' talk about sweeten up the top end a bit!!!
But I do have a query - Are these, or are they not, 15-16 ohm horns? There's a similar couple of pairs on EBay and, IIRC, the older set mentions them being 15 ohm.
If you have any sort of input - lemme' know.
And when it really starts to snow (and when the guys at Classic HiFi gives me my camera back) I'm going to inundate you with pictures!
As I understand it there's another El Nino forming so you Victoria boys, wives, and cats will have another nice winter. Arrgh!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Fond Memories.

Hi there,

As a fourteen year old I built my first speaker with a Coral full-range.
Bassreflex port at the front,white paper cone,white tissue inverted roll suspension and a central metal dome in the dustcap doubling as a tweeter.(well kinda)
Build quality you don't even find anymore.
In short I whish I'd kept them.
Gorgeous sound.:)

Revjac,

A pint if those horns are not 16 Ohm.

;)

Cheers,

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
revjac said:
I found 4 Jensen horns (103S) at an auction for a buck. All work. I have two of them wired in with the Coral Horns with a little 2.2 cap - You wanna' talk about sweeten up the top end a bit!!!
But I do have a query - Are these, or are they not, 15-16 ohm horns?

Never ran across those yet. Got an ohm meter? If they are 16 ohms your XO point have moved to a nominal 20k. makes them down 9 dB at 10k... they may be WAY more eficient than the Corals and you now have a rising top end to compensate a bit for your advancing years

As I understand it there's another El Nino forming so you Victoria boys, wives, and cats will have another nice winter. Arrgh!

yes it seems it could be. The burning ban has been extended due to insufficient rain postponing the Halloween bonfire. The pile of old speaker & hifi carcasses is hitting 3m x 3m x 1.5m high.

Had to bury one of those cats today :( Ezekial Spynoch IV (aka Spinach of the Forest, aka Zeke) He led a short but free life -- this cat at age 2 went on a 3 year walk about and then came back to spend his last year with us.

Pics yes!

dav

dave et al,

Below is a pic of my Peaks I thunk yous guts might like to see. I resued intact all but my email files from my crashed HDD last night. Damn I'm good.

<b>As I understand it there's another El Nino forming so you Victoria boys, wives, and cats will have another nice winter. Arrgh!</b>

So that's where all our moisture went. Down where I am, it's hot, hot hot and so dry that fires are starting all over the place. My car has a fine coating of ash from them. We've been on water restrictions here for a couple of months and the reserviour is very low: I have to filter the sludge out of the water before I drink it, and my gardens are dying.

Attachments

• peak drivers.jpg
    peak drivers.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 443
Really sorry to hear about the cat - You'll remember my best pal up and died on me too earlier this year.

"Never ran across those yet. Got an ohm meter? If they are 16 ohms your XO point have moved to a nominal 20k. makes them down 9 dB at 10k..."

Sure - like I understand any of that - except for the ohm meter part.

'they may be WAY more eficient than the Corals and you now have a rising top end to compensate a bit for your advancing years"

This part I understand remarkably well - Advancing years and most of the past in a bar environ when I wasn't working rock concerts. I'm surprised I hear as well as I do.

I'll have to take the bottle money and get me a real good digital MM and get busy.

BTW - I re-built those baby Akai cabinets and re-installed the drivers - Sound like fecal material so far.
When I get the camera back from the Classic Hi-Fi guys you'll get pics of the horns and whatever I can think of that will keep you from getting homesick.

jac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.