Copy Transfer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just thought,

I would mention this I have no connection..I had a computer crash a while a go Hard drive fail..I had lost all my Ipod tunes on the PC...if tried to connect it to the new PC I think it would have wiped My Ipod ..so I used copy transfer to copy all my songs from the Ipod back to the PC..it worked so well I paid and bought the full version..

Transfer iPod to iTunes, copy iPod to PC and iPad to computer

It saved the day for me because my songs were not on the cloud at that time..There are other programs that do the same..:)..its just for interest.

Regards
M. Gregg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
iTunes will do this automatically with your iPod, I have had to do this several times over the years when the hard drive in one of my PCs failed. I think there are some minor configuration settings you should check first.. Apple Forums or Help in iTunes should provide the required information.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi Kevin,

I tried on several occasions to do this with no luck the itunes folder would not show on the computer (Hidden or other)..I was told if ITunes did a sync on the ipod it would wipe it..so It would be nice to know how you did it.

Copy Trans also let me create a separate (normal) folder on another hard drive to back it all up. This just shows the songs as standard files MP3 etc

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of course I just upgraded iTunes so I can't find everything and my iPod is upstairs while I'm down here in the man cave listening to vinyl.. :D

However you can prevent your iPod automatically syncing to an empty installation of iTunes by checking the box shown in the attachment below..

You can import purchased files from your iPod to iTunes, that however is not the case with music you ripped with iTunes..

Also make sure you never select the "Reset your iPod" in the software updates section of iTunes as this will delete anything on your device. Regular updates are OK.

I've reached the point where I no longer find much satisfactory sonically speaking with the iPod so I hardly ever use it. When it wears out I am probably going to get a hifiman or whatever has replaced it at that point in time - at least that can play flac files and makes some pretense at high fidelity.. :D

When I next connect my iPod I will look and see if the library options are the same as I remember and will post here.

I have a 4 year old Classic 160GB..

Attachments

• iTunes_sync.png
    iTunes_sync.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 57
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Thank's Kevin,

Yes I tend to use the Ipod when I'm playing back ground music...Its just easy to use...

Yes please post what you find with the settings...I prefer flac perhaps off CD...however the CD looks like its got limited time..I find the software in linux better for some reason...I can't get to creating a PC based silent system..:D..I guess I have an allergy to bits of music.

Regards
M. Gregg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Reputedly the iRiver is quite good sounding.. :D I rebatteried a first generation iPod which I gave to my wife 4yrs ago when I got the current one.

Strangely enough the first 2013 release of iTunes (if not earlier, I ignored many previous prompts to upgrade) has apparently done away with Cover Flow which I thought was a gimmick, but nonetheless cool..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank's Kevin,

Yes I tend to use the Ipod when I'm playing back ground music...Its just easy to use...

Yes please post what you find with the settings...I prefer flac perhaps off CD...however the CD looks like its got limited time..I find the software in linux better for some reason...I can't get to creating a PC based silent system..:D..I guess I have an allergy to bits of music.

Regards
M. Gregg

I've ripped a good many of my CDs to flac to the point that I no longer even have a CD player hooked up. My Sony SACD player - a modified SCD-777ES is rarely used to play SACDs and even less frequently to play CDs. I also have a Shigaclone which I no longer use either.

I'm about 90% Analog and 10% digital and the media server with a home brew dac (tube/transformer based I/V) is really quite good sounding and very convenient - if not really a match for the TD-124/Schick/SPU/Muscovite. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.