Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So directivity to me is not a goal in itself, it's just a property a device has to have.
Directivity is THE tool for any kind of speakers.

There are other very important variables that haven't been discussed yet. In what kind of room does the speaker need to work? How is everything set up (distance to walls)? How many listeners?
Exactly, that's what I am saying. And even if it not obvious to beginners, room and speaker are ONE system.

And the worst part is that I was born and raised in Swabia :)
Ah, that explains it :D

Talking about directivity. Just measured a pair of Behringer B2031P. Unbelieveable performance for such a cheap speaker.

The measurement is windowed and measured with 1.2m distance.

Attachments

• b2031phorizontal.png
    b2031phorizontal.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 242
I always wanted to ask. Is low German kind of like hillbilly German? Or is it more phosisticated?

Officially Low German (plattdeutsch) is a dialect spoken in the far north-west of Germany.
It is very similar to dutch. My father speaks but sadly I don't.

Hochdeutsch (high german) is the german equivalent to Queen's English ie allegedly accent-free.

Oh and having been born well to the north of the Weisswurst Aequator the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear Swabia is 'Raffe, schaffe, haeusle baue'. I blame my parents…

(Still can't find the umlaut on my qwerty keyboard.)

Talking about directivity. Just measured a pair of Behringer B2031P. Unbelieveable performance for such a cheap speaker.

The measurement is windowed and measured with 1.2m distance.

I posted that same speaker on my web site in the Polar Maps App. Yes, it is incredible how good a cheap speaker can be. Its only downside is the limited SPL capability. It is a small dome tweeter and thermal effects will limit its high level performance. Low end too since its a small woofer and extended low end so excursion of the woofer will be an issue. But at low levels its directional performance is very good.

I posted that same speaker on my web site in the Polar Maps App. Yes, it is incredible how good a cheap speaker can be. Its only downside is the limited SPL capability. It is a small dome tweeter and thermal effects will limit its high level performance. Low end too since its a small woofer and extended low end so excursion of the woofer will be an issue. But at low levels its directional performance is very good.

Sounds like they are perfect as surrounds. That's how I use them currently.

Vertical is not so great but that's a "drawback" of the concept. I've attached 0°-90° upwards and downwards.

Attachments

• b2031pvup.png
    b2031pvup.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 206
  • b2031pvdown.png
    b2031pvdown.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 212
Sounds like they are perfect as surrounds. That's how I use them currently.

Vertical is not so great but that's a "drawback" of the concept. I've attached 0°-90° upwards and downwards.

Verticle (I left this spelled wrong just so that the Germans can correct it:)) is never "great" at the crossover of any speaker. That's a principle reason that I write off Multi-way direct radiators is the fact that as you try and increase power handling you need more and more passbands and more and more crossovers. There is no such thing as a "good" crossover, only lessor and lessor bad ones. Active surely helps, but it is not a complete solution.

I would like to compare this Berhinger with the Harper as the size is about the same, but the Harper is a little more expensive. The Harper would easily have 10 dB more Max-SPL than the Behringer however. The latest rev of the Harper is really quite respectable.

This article pretty much mirrors my opinion.

The 'Best' Loudspeaker: Revisiting Dispersion Issues Article By Alvin Foster BAS Speaker

Frequency response and dispersion and room are the important controllable factors in the sound. A more directional speaker sounds more dynamic and images cleaner, but can sound dry and is often better suited to home theater where you want crisp clean sounds.

A higher dispersion speaker, like a cone and dome 3 way, gives a sound that is more laid back and enveloping and better suited to most types of music.

However the room and how far away you are from the source also matter. From a longer distance in a reverberant space one might want a beamier speaker to increase direct sound.

Also if one has to accept early reflections you are almost always better off with narrower dispersion. Also speakers vary a lot in their dispersion types and don't always fit into one camp or the other. Some have wide horizontal and narrow vertical etc.

But we are in an age where DSP is inexpensive as are multiple channels of power amplification. It's no longer a choice between narrow directivity and room ambience like i was back in the days of Allison. Both can be done together now with directive speakers in addition to some other radiators that project delayed energy into the room. It works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.