considerations while choosing / designing filter coil for ClassD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Saturation is caused by current. If the current doesn't exceed the limit, it will not saturate. Frequency is not important in this respect. But the maximal current have to be tested, even if it is allowed for a very short time.

The limit with 0.94 mm gap and 22 turns is about 10 A. I don't know if this is enough for Aucosticraft or not. Is 0th step done? Are the results public?

In the sheet I see Irms=2*Ipk, what must be a mistake, or something is defined in a very weird way. There are too much calculations there, I don't know where do they come from. I don't know what is Core Height, Length and Width.

Saturation is caused by current. If the current doesn't exceed the limit, it will not saturate. Frequency is not important in this respect. But the maximal current have to be tested, even if it is allowed for a very short time.

The limit with 0.94 mm gap and 22 turns is about 10 A. I don't know if this is enough for Aucosticraft or not. Is 0th step done? Are the results public?

In the sheet I see Irms=2*Ipk, what must be a mistake, or something is defined in a very weird way. There are too much calculations there, I don't know where do they come from. I don't know what is Core Height, Length and Width.

The calculations were from a Flyback transformer MathCAD worksheet I gave him on another project. Most of the equations are validated in McLyman's books on transformer design. Some are approximations that are good enough to get close (those on power loss for example) while others are very precise (i.e. fringing flux calculations). The Irms is a mistake... it was originally a CCM RMS calculation that was more complex and the name wasn't updated when the equation changed.

You do have to be careful with gapped ferrites and slow moving signals or DC levels (especially when operating at a high flux density since Bmax is Bdc+Bac). Generally the gapped ferrites I have used in the past were in DC/DC stages or AC/DC converters. I haven't really used them at line frequencies before as I usually use a powdered iron type core ore something that has a really high saturation point.

Tony

The calculations were from a Flyback transformer MathCAD worksheet I gave him on another project. Most of the equations are validated in McLyman's books on transformer design. Some are approximations that are good enough to get close (those on power loss for example) while others are very precise (i.e. fringing flux calculations). The Irms is a mistake... it was originally a CCM RMS calculation that was more complex and the name wasn't updated when the equation changed.

You do have to be careful with gapped ferrites and slow moving signals or DC levels (especially when operating at a high flux density since Bmax is Bdc+Bac). Generally the gapped ferrites I have used in the past were in DC/DC stages or AC/DC converters. I haven't really used them at line frequencies before as I usually use a powdered iron type core ore something that has a really high saturation point.

Tony

Tony!

Thanks, but this doesn't tell much for me. I can't see any mathematical/physical detail here. (Except for Bmax=Bdc+Bac which can be translated to I=Idc+Iac. As I said "Every current that flows with significant intensity must be considered.") I can't see frequency dependancy anywhere, if the current is given (instead of voltage). Do you?

Tony!

Thanks, but this doesn't tell much for me. I can't see any mathematical/physical detail here. (Except for Bmax=Bdc+Bac which can be translated to I=Idc+Iac. As I said "Every current that flows with significant intensity must be considered.") I can't see frequency dependancy anywhere, if the current is given (instead of voltage). Do you?

Certainly won't disagree with the current comment.

Just curious what additional information you were looking for when it comes to designing a ferrite core inductor using an EE core. There may be a lot more calculations in their than you would run but as I said that was not it's original purpose.

Anyway... Always good to hear comments from others and hear their point of view. I am often too insulated in what I do from other engineers and as such I often never get my design worksheets reviewed.

Thanks
Tony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.