Confused as how to wire up my x-over.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I bought some spires a long long time ago, and am finally getting around to building them. Unfortunately, the plans do not have the x-over design, and I'm without the x-over. A helpful fellow in another thread designed a simple x-over for me, but I'm not to sure how to wire it all up.

The original plans are here. http://uploading.com/files/XSYL9KTH/SPIRES.pdf.html

Please look here for the new x-over. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145671&page=2 (Post 17 is the one I want)

Now to wire it up, I'm not really sure what to do. Here's what I'm thinking I do...

I go straight from the input cup (pos) to the tweet, then through the cap. Then that connects to the negative on the input cup.

Next I go from the input cup (pos) to L (The winded wire one?) then to two drivers. (pos) Take two short wires, and go from the negative on those speakers, to the positive terminals on the two remaining speakers. Finally I go from the negative terms on those speakers to negative on the input cup. That's what I get from his picture. (Although, I'm not sure what the horizontal line in the middle of the 4 bass drivers is for?)

I am confused because on the spires plans, if you look at the picture of the wiring setup, and zoom in on the x-over, it looks like the post goes right to the winded coil (L I'm guessing?)

Which way is correct? Should I wire it up according to the picture and disregard the spires plans as this is a different x-over?

Help please! So confused. :p

Hi Loading17,
I've updated my diagram to match the parts shown in the Spire pdf; any line is a piece of wire

Attachments

• xo1.jpg
    xo1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 83
Hi Loading17,
I've updated my diagram to match the parts shown in the Spire pdf; any line is a piece of wire

Thanks for the updated picture. I have to confess I'm even more confused now.

Will the crossover you designed me work in the new drawing? It appears to me really really different then your original drawing. Should I just follow your original drawing?

The thing I am confused about in particular is the horizontal wire going between the mids.

To implement that in my wiring I'd go like this (Ignoring x-over and tweeter)

Positive from terminal to two positives. Take a short wire, and connect the negative terminals of those two speakers together? Go from the negative of both those speakers to the pos of the remaining two. Then go from the negatives of those, to the input cup.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to use the x-over you designed me, and am not to good with electronics. Please forgive me! :)

this is about as simple as I can make it - try & follow this on the diagram above:
+ input to tweeter + and one end of inductor
Tweeter - and other end of inductor to + of woofer 1&2 and one end of Capacitor
- of woofers 1& 2 to + of woofers 3&4
- of woofers 3&4 to other end of Capacitor and - input

so you've got it right as far as the woofers go :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.