Cone treatment to widen highs of fullrange driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been able to successfully widen the dispersion by implementing a circular baffle of special design. I also noticed improved time domain acoustical measurements which I think contributed the most to the subjective improvement to the sound. After adding the circular baffles to my floorstanding speakers I had to apply a more aggressive baffle step filter. I believe this was due to the increased high frequency output from the averaged response within the 0 to 30 degree off-axis listening window...even though the on-axis frequency response changed very little.

I also saw subtle improvement in the spectrogram burst decay results in the region between 4kHz - 20kHz (see pictures)

I wasn't expecting this but the impulse response improved from 1.3ms to 0.8ms as well.

The curved front face is a exponential spiral curve which I've had very good results using in some of my front horns. So my rationale was to utilize this same curve equation in a circular baffle, which is what you see.

Attachments

• Circular Baffle.jpg
    Circular Baffle.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 100
  • burst square.jpg
    burst square.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 105
  • burst circle.jpg
    burst circle.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IR Square.jpg
    IR Square.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IR Circle.jpg
    IR Circle.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 110
  • section.jpg
    section.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 71
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 60
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 61
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.