Cone Preferences .... Paper-Alum-Titanium-poly.. etc..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at what you wrote in post #82 now it seems like you agree that FR is not sufficient by itself right?
The impulse is what is suffcient, that's the core of linear systems theory. The essential piece of information.
If you chose to use a display of that impulse that doesn't show everthing (like a truncated piece of it, transformed to a frequency response) it's not the impulse's fault.
You are constantly confusing the information content of data (impulse) with the various ways to display it.

All this delightfully entertaining conversations on merits / relevance of any particular measurement technique aside, after a few hours of listening over the last couple of days, I might be closer to an answer to the sdep777's original question

Paper, metal or....?

Mark Audio MAOP7 as I think scottmoose can comment re the MAOP10, these are not your garden variety metal cones - are they "perfect"' DC to light 100dB 0% distortion miracles, no - do they make wonderful music and display qualities of all upstream components and program materials? - ah, yup

Last edited:
- continuing conversation from a different thread here -

Yes, this is one aspect of transducer velocity, but doesn't a transducer need a certain velocity to achieve really low THD as well?

For instance a 1 kHz sine, I can see that "very fast" transducer designs tend to achieve lower THD.

Any pointers to references?

For instance

M.R.O.: SONY MDR-EX1000

M.R.O.: HiFiMAN RE-600 Part.2: General analysis - Songbird

PXOSR2o.jpg

Yes, sure, that is what designers / users with electrostatic or balanced-armature drivers may say at times.

I've asked in the past why electrostatic sounds different and can't find any real answers.

Radiation/directivity patterns and lack of pronounced resonances?

I think this is a pretty good answer!

Not the complete picture, but I think "radiation / directivity" is definitely the primary difference I hear in the electrostatic and isodynamic drivers I'm familiar with.

Last edited:
The impulse is what is suffcient, that's the core of linear systems theory. The essential piece of information.

Yes.

KSTR said:
You are constantly confusing the information content of data (impulse) with the various ways to display it.

No, your loaf of bread example is exactly how I visualize it.

It's the "Xaph" thread which is confusing a slice of bread with the entire loaf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.