Cone paper stiffness?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have any data on the stiffness of the paper used in a typical paper cone?
In particular the beam stiffness?
This data must exist somewhere for FEA analysis on cones but I haven't seen it.
Obviously varies with the paper thickness but also with the pulp treatment, whether it's pressed and so on.
I would like to find at least a ballpark number before I order some materials for an experiment.
American manufacturers (of course) use a non rational unit, the "Taber", why do they make life awkward?

David

Last edited:
Loudsoft (Peter Larssen) has built a cone material database in FineCone. I suppose you are familiar with this software suite. If not, just google.

You might ask Larssen to provide data. Maybe someone here on diya has acces to this database.

One issue I foresee is that cone paper comes in an endless variety of mixes, so it will hard to describe "cone paper" in terms of general material properties.

Keep us posted, it is a topic that I find rather fascinating. Unfortunately FineCone and PafSys are not affordable for the average amateur, so any of your ventures might be of great interest.

Eelco

non-rational (not comparable) Contrary to reason; lacking an appropriate or sufficient reason; irrational. Lacking the ability to reason. (often philosophy) Not within the domain of what can be understood or analyzed by reason; outside the competence of the rules of reason.

Interesting how successful our irrationality has been

non-rational (not comparable)...

The point is that the "Taber" unit is not comparable to any other unit of stiffness, or at least not easily and without arbitrary conversions.

...how successful our irrationality has been

This is like units, depends on how you define it.
If in terms of the health or development of the people then not so much.
But that's a can of worms for a different forum.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
Loudsoft (Peter Larssen) has built a cone material database in FineCone. I suppose you are familiar with this software suite...

Yes, it's what I had in mind when I wrote that the data must exist for FEA analysis on cones.

Maybe someone here on diya has acces to this database.

That was my hope.

One issue I foresee is that cone paper comes in an endless variety of mixes, so it will hard to describe "cone paper"...

Yes I mentioned the variability and it's also why I didn't just use non-specific "paper" properties.

Keep us posted, it is a topic that I find...

Hi Eelco, it interests me too and I will update you if I have any new information.
Do you have specific areas of interest?

Best wishes
David

Shape vs breakup modes. And, maybe more interesting: the impact of cone termination on break up behaviour.

Looking for doable mods a la dimpling, stiffening the cone-surround connection, surround mods etc.

What software do you intend to use for FEA?
Best,

Eelco

..the impact of cone termination on break up behaviour.

I believe this is dominated by the surround properties, especially viscoelastic behaviour that is often far from simple quasi-static measured values.
So a lot of trial and error, even if one has FEA.

What software do you intend to use for FEA?

Not sure yet if it's very useful so I haven't looked too closely.
But it's axisymmetric so should be sufficiently simple for freeware/open source.

Best wishes
David

Hi,

this is a very interesting theme, and especially, Eeelco, the shape-versus-breakup question has my full attention, joined by the termination/suspension theme, and of course shape/directionality, as well as angle between cone and coil former and partly cone decoupling for fullrange drivers...
Sadly, apart from spending 7 K€ for Finecone I haven´t found a solution yet.
Therefore I´m interested in any findings, too, and will of course report any success.

All the best

Mattes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.