Component package mismatch - replace or work around?

My point is all they will do is replace wrong component.

But if they replace with the same (wrong **) component , they will have tos subsequently launch a stock check , that's why normally they'll do the stock check before resupplying

Any costs of rectification are not going to be paid for.
That's a given, it's unfortunate, but normally one would make (at least) a cursory check of the part supplied to ensure it was what it said it was,

Stock problems happen (occasionally) and the best you can expect is an apology... and the right part eventually supplied.

That's the (occasional) risk you take with any distributor , what I was saying is you don't have to put up with them saying yellow is yellow (when the supplied yellow clearly is black)

I'm not being funny, but don't you (double) check components before fitting ?...... :confused:

I once had a run in with Maplin.

I bought some "horizontal" 1k presets.
When they came they were vertical presets and so wouldnt fit the pcb.
I had a look in the catalogue and it clearly shows a horizontal preset for that stock code.
So I rang them up and they argued that the picture is just a guide.
I argued but the picture is different to what I received.
I gave up in the end and found the correct preset elsewhere in the catalogue but it put me off using Maplin online.
At least with the local Maplin shop I could see what I was buying.

Pictures can be misleading as they sometimes present a library shot of a device from the range .. you've gotta sometimes take them with a pinch of salt when you know yourself (after you've done your due dilligence research into the part number or datasheet) it's wrong.

But in this mouser case they have specified it's TO220 in the description detail too, the datesheet says it's supposed to be a TO220 so you'd expect to get a TO220..

The data isn't wrong in this case, the datasheet says TO220, the description says TO220, the photo shows TO220.... so they've supplied wrongly. It's a cut and dried case, and the blame is on mouser.

They distributed a lot of electronic components at one time.

In early years (1980) they didnt sell a lot. They were notorious for being out of stock.
I remember a few times being stuck half way through a project with components missing.

In later years they sold a lot more.

I was once in their shop in Carlisle when I heard 2 of the staff talking.
One said that bloke comes in a lot but hardly buys anything !
That is sort of true but I tended to buy online and use the shop for something I needed quickly.

Stock problems happen (occasionally) and the best you can expect is an apology... and the right part eventually supplied.
Though if you receive a more valuable part that's potentially useful in error I'd suggest quietly reordering and only complaining the second time if its wrong...

In my experience with major distributers substitution errors are rarer than out-of-stock issues (be careful ordering a line when its stock levels are very low, its probably best to check for alternatives with good stock). And except recently those were pretty rare.