• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Complete" list of sweep tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure about the availability of the valve types in the USA but here in the UK the few I found on the list are more expensive than your average audio OP valve. They aren't available in any quantities either. Is there a supplier in Europe that anyone knows of, or a US supplier that sells for a competitive price? If not once shipping and customs/post office fees are taken into account, doesn't look like TV horizontal sweep valves offer much of a saving.

The more common types like PL509's, 6DQ6 etc have rocketed in price here in the UK recently and are getting harder to find at a good price.

Andy.

The RATED plate dissipation number for the 6LW6 is 40 watts. Peak cathode current is 1.4 Amps. I have not found a bigger sweep tube.

All 6LW6's are NOT created equal. The picture shows a 12AX7 and 4 TV sweep tubes. The two on the right are BOTH 6LW6's.

The smaller one is a Sylvania and it will eat 40 watts all day long. red plate begins to show in the 55 to 65 watt range depending on how well it was made.

The tube on the right is a fat bottled GE. There are at least three different variations on the fat bottled GE, and one or two different skinny GE's. Each fat boy has different flavors of additional heat radiators attached to it's plate. This one takes 90+ watts to provoke red plate.... Guess which one gets used in my next SE amp experiment?

Note that these two 6LW6's are DEAD. both victims of my attempts to run these guys in triode mode. I killed 4 6LW6's over two years in a triode mode SE amp. After #4 died, I dismantled the amp. All died while idling which is worse case in a class A amp, but then sweep tubes were never intended to idle.....TV sweep (line output) runs full "volume" all the time.

What was the voltage you were using? I've been running 36LW6 in push pull tride 120ma @320V with no issues so far. Same setup with 6P45S without issue.

I've been running 36LW6 in push pull tride 120ma @320V with no issues so far

These tubes were used in a modified TSE amp which was connected to my PC and driving my Yamaha NS10's. It was on a lot, and sat idle for a good percentage of the time. The tubes were run in SE class A and the first two were set to 100 mA of idle current. The last two were set lower, but I don't remember exactly where.

I started at just over 400 volts and worked my way down to about 325 volts as tubes blew up. Oddly there seemed to no correlation to voltage VS lifetime. The first tube lasted almost a year at maybe 420 volts. The second tube blew in a couple of months at around 385 volts. Same power supply, just swapped the 5AR4 for a 5U4. Then I swapped the power transformer to get me in the 360 volt range, and later swapped rectifiers for about 330 volts.

All died the same death. At first the idle current would start creeping upwards, requiring periodic bias readjustment, which became more and more frequent. Then one day the tube would go into red plate runaway. Two failures were smashed to look for clues, but none were found.

The other two are in the picture.

The Sylvania went red plate when I wasn't in the room and it eventually blew the line fuse. It cooked itself enough to look fried, and does not run away today if used, but it has near zero emission.

The fat bottle GE was the first to die. After nearly a year of good service, it got the blue glow of death one day, red plated, and caused the amp to hum at which point I shut it off. I suspected a minor air leak, so I kept the tube to see if the getter eventually turned white or disappeared. It still looks good after nearly 10 years, but the tube will ionize a bright blue glow today even without heater power. Something inside the tube outgassed some conductive ions, probably a glowing screen grid.

I have been experimenting with a unique new way to make sweep tubes work like big triodes. I have it working with P-P amps, but SE is still a challenge. Once the redesigned TSE board is finished, there will be some serious sweep tube SE experiments. I have over 100 25DN6's that I got for under 50 cents each for "testing."

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Datasheet dissipation ratings?
Some datasheets list both a design center rating and a max rating (35W and 45W for the PL519 for instance) but others (most?) only list a single number.
Which to use to compare different sweep types?

H-sweep work is VERY different from linear audio.

First: the distinction Center and Max is well documented. Tubes and parts vary. If you just throw stuff together and ship it, the Center spec leaves margin for typical tolerances. If you measure every set you build, or have effective regulation to limit tolerance shift, you may use the Max spec.

BUT: the real problem when selling tubes for sweep duty is that they swing from HIGH current to HIGH voltage, and it is very hard to know the actual dissipation (before computerized measurement tools). Very small shift of tolerances can cause large increase of dissipation. If drive level falls off, or coils get leaky, dissipation can double. The Pdiss specs on most sweep tubes are very conservative for medium current/voltage operation that does not slam to extremes.

Against that is the fact that H-sweep tubes had to be beefy but also as cheap as possible. Both for OEM and as repair parts. As George's pictures show, the "same" tube could be built differently, probably depending some on market pressure and warranty policy. Tubes sold on 30-day warranty might be cheapened to just barely live 31 days.

Attachments

• 38HE7.pdf
    498.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 38HK7.pdf
    432 KB · Views: 102
  • 53HK7-1.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.