Compact Single-Ended Class A Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And FYI, what you don't see are the heat sink on the other side of that board, and the fan that resides on the bottom cover. A lot can be accomplished with forced convection. Where is this 60 watts at idle claim? I must have missed that part when reading the website. I understand the math and appreciate the input.

Anyway, back to the original topic.

oh, BTW, there is one other amp design out there that I think would be great candidate to build-- it is the GR25. It is not single-ended, though. The A-75 is not single ended either, I kind of missed that in your original post. For that matter, the F5 is not single ended either, but I like these two amps better than the single ended amp that I built.

JJ

Step one is to decide how much power you want.
Step two is to choose an amp that will deliver that power (this is where you are now).
Step three is to work up a parts list and start pricing things...this may involve starting over at step one.
Step four is to source the heat sinks. They're the hardest to get part.
Step five is to source the power transformer. A much less daunting task than four, but it can be a nuisance sometimes.
Step six...build the thing.
Step seven...listen.

Grey

Thanks for all the help, folks. I've got a good idea of what I want to do now (Aleph 30), and will be proceeding with board layout. Once I get that figured out, I'll get some of the other fine details ironed out.

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the results of this.

Made some progress today planning the board and chassis layout. Can anyone tell me how hot the other components will get, output transistors aside?

I have schematics for the Aleph 3, but am wondering if there is a complete bill of materials to put one of these together? Or, do most people just look over the schematic and make a tally of all the parts? It'd be nice not to have to redo work that has been done, but if I have to I will.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Aaron, welcome to the Pass forum community. Instead of the Aleph 3 or 30, why not build the Aleph J now since the schematic is available and very similiar to the A3?

Out of all the Aleph's, Nelson has gone on record to say that this one is his favorite.

Offhand, I don't think anyone has done a BOM for the AJ, but the parts count is not obscenely high that putting an order together will be too difficult and if you plan on building any more of Papa's creations, you'll find alot of parts/values repeated so spares are easy to find a use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.