Commercial pop that somehow sounds really good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Who's Quadrophenia was sounding pretty good yesterday.
Quadrophenia not only sounds good, it IS good in the sense that it shows the capacity of The Who both to make incredibly energetic rock-music with inspiration from symphonic music and telling a story about an English sub-culture. For me it is their masterpiece.
I believe that "POP" is an abbreviation of "popular" such that it is not meant as a denigration of the music.

Had you said "absolute technical capability" I would rush to agree with you. The CD and HiRes streaming are certainly more technically capable than vinyl having a noiseless background, better dynamic range and better frequency response and they eliminate the problems of wear and tear.

In all truth I'm beginning to think the problem is that many of these engineers really don't understand digital formats.

In the analog world you could crank it up, using more and more headroom until clipping set in.

In the digital world clipping is a hard ceiling at 0 db. If they continued to set their levels as they did for analog recordings they would be producing a wildly over-driven pile of noise. The trick now is to use the added dynamic range to advantage... for 30 db of dynamic range you need to start no higher than -15db that will give you plus 15 and minus 85 db range for CD Bluebook recording. Even more for DVD and HiRes formats.

This business of limiting and compression so you can crank up the base level never did work. It introduced copious amounts of distortion --like 30%-- and totally killed the humanity of the music. The far better tactic is to start at -25 or -30 db, record the full dynamics of the performance then adjust the level so that peaks are just a hair below clipping after the fact.

"You're No Good" is an excellent example. Love that song!
Also try "Angie" by the Rolling Stones.

We need to appreciate that what our systems amplify is a single waveform in each channel. With quantizing and other mixing "adjustments" they are forcing the separate instruments to start on precise grids, essentially melding all that individuality into a much simpler waveform... at the expense of detail and dynamics.

Exactly ...

A guitarist of my acquaintance once said "If you can't feel it, you aren't playing it right."

In my first para, I was referring to the intrinsic capability, perhaps I didn't express that well, but my later reference to the human use of the technology differentiates the hardware from the human usage.

Does it really matter whether or not the engineers don't understand the formats, bearing in mind they are sound recordists, and use their ears, and these should tell them if they've got it right or not?

Does it really matter whether or not the engineers don't understand the formats, bearing in mind they are sound recordists, and use their ears, and these should tell them if they've got it right or not?

Current evidence of popular music says it does matter...

Here is a link to a data base of music and the dynamic ranges used... Loudness War Info

Just look how much of the recent stuff has 10 db or less of dynamic range, it goes on page after page...
Does that look like their ears are guiding them to success?

Seriously, how can someone engage in a high tech industry without understanding how any of it works?

Last edited:
My point is really that if current pop sounds dreadful, then those making it are not using their ears properly.

A car can be driven really well without an understanding how the car works., and an airline pilot doesn't have a deep thorough understanding of the aircraft's underlying engineering, but of course some degree of understanding can be beneficial.

The loudness war is in the domain of human choice, a compromise of artistic expression for the sake of the attention demanding which loudness produces, probably demanded by managers of the economics.

This is political, and reflects our increasingly aggressive society.

My point is really that if current pop sounds dreadful, then those making it are not using their ears properly.

That we can definitely agree on.

A car can be driven really well without an understanding how the car works., and an airline pilot doesn't have a deep thorough understanding of the aircraft's underlying engineering, but of course some degree of understanding can be beneficial.

I'm guessing you've never seen the training that pilots get... they are trained to do much more than simply "drive" the airplane. Too many people's lives are at stake for anything less.

Also: My career was in electronic service. How far do you think I would have gotten without an in-depth knowledge of how things work?

There are many cases were a person simply cannot do their job without theoretical training and practical experience. There is a reason why so many studio engineers are also musicians and many are electronics technicians as well. They simply could not do the job without some background in audio and music.

The loudness war is in the domain of human choice, a compromise of artistic expression for the sake of the attention demanding which loudness produces, probably demanded by managers of the economics.

And what choice do I have in it?
Face it, it's about money, greed and profits just like everything else and you are probably right that it is demanded by the company's bean counters.

This is political, and reflects our increasingly aggressive society.

Agreed ...

Your career, as mine was defined as dealing WITH the technicalities, the need was intrinsic.

I have said that some knowledge, ie overlap is useful, but there are limits to what is helpful

I don't need to know what the alloys are in my veg knife, or which wood the handle is made from in order to be able to cut vegetables.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you are willing to venture into areas not mainstream anglo-saxon pop, there are some beautifully produced albums out of France, Italy, Hawaii.
Have a look at Claude Nougaro, Johnny Hallyday Paulo Conte, Paris Combo, Serge Giansbourg and others.

From Hawaii most of the albums by Iz Kamakawiwo'ole sound nice, if a little over produced. An all time favorite for me is an old live recording from the 60s called "A Beachboy Party by Duke Kahanamoku". Just a lovely recording of the old timers playing and singing down in Waikiki.

Your career, as mine was defined as dealing WITH the technicalities, the need was intrinsic.

I have said that some knowledge, ie overlap is useful, but there are limits to what is helpful

But you do need to know how a mixing board works to mix music. There, as in my career, you are dealing directly with the technicalities of recording music. It's not a simple matter of stringing some microphones and twiddling a few knobs, you know.

Trust me on this one ... Deeper insight is always better, especially when things don't go as planned. I never have and probably never will understand why some people just offhandedly reject knowledge, especially when it's relevant to their tasks, but I am seeing it more and more as time goes on.

Last edited:
"But you do need to know how a mixing board works to mix music."

That is an ambiguous question open to interpretive definition; the degree of depth needs defining and you probably don't need to know the base current in a transistor in the desk.

We agree that the knowledge is useful, and I'm not rejecting any knowledge.

"But you do need to know how a mixing board works to mix music."

That is an ambiguous question open to interpretive definition; the degree of depth needs defining and you probably don't need to know the base current in a transistor in the desk.

Maybe not that ... but you do need to know it's limits, input sensitivity, output drive, equalizer capability, programming options and so on before you're going to produce anything but noise.

Also in the digital realm you need to understand the way dynamic range works with a hard ceiling on output levels. To use it in the same way as an analog board would result in massive clipping and very bad recordings.

So, no matter what the protest... yes you do need to know how the thing works.

We agree that the knowledge is useful, and I'm not rejecting any knowledge.

I would say that in a field as technical as music production, knowledge is essential. As I said before, I'm betting that a lot of the crap music coming out these days is from guys who failed to adapt to the new formats.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.