Commercial BIB

Status
Not open for further replies.
i talked with Kurt, Bach is not strictly a BIB and was designed in Hornresp, so the original assumption that much of this thread is based on is a false one.

dave

What?! :D :spin:
If this
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
is not a BIB then what is it?
While I'm certainly on the side of free use of the concept, I don't see how this is any different from other cabs called BIBs. Same principles.
They even tell us straight out on the site that it's a BIB.

If it's any consolation to the naysayers, I don't think business is going very well. Their speakers are monstrously expensive for what they are, in a country that is traditionally pretty technologically conservative/cautious.

Last edited:
What?! :D :spin:
If this
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
is not a BIB then what is it?
While I'm certainly on the side of free use of the concept, I don't see how this is any different from other cabs called BIBs. Same principles.
They even tell us straight out on the site that it's a BIB.

If it's any consolation to the naysayers, I don't think business is going very well. Their speakers are monstrously expensive for what they are, in a country that is traditionally pretty technologically conservative/cautious.

Or perhaps it could be described the other way around, i.e. to quote the title of TC's original project post " TQWT ? Bigger is Better"

IINM this was before he actually retired from the commercial millwork trade to embark full time as speaker manufacturer.

One of the larger threads on this forum is devoted to this subject, and includes frequent references to one of the sources of inspirations for Terry and a lot of us - i.e. "Those Fostex Craft Handbooks"

Point here being that Kurt's site includes the following text:

The Bach cabinet is a special variant of a TQWT (Tapered Quarter Wave Tube). It consists of a long conical horn with a fold at the bottom and the horn opening facing upwards. The speaker unit is placed at a precise and purposeful distance from the closed end of the horn.
and

The design was rediscovered in 2005 by Terry Cain, a cabinetmaker from the United States with an interest in speaker designs. This cabinet soon got its nickname BIB (Bigger is Better) - you can read about his first discoveries here... and the following extensive discussion here... the discussion has been going on for four and half year now and new ideas and inputs still pop up from time to time.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am not talking about the BIB. Also take a look at a couple of the other designs.

Martin,

That one is one of Scott's double mouth horns and the other you are likely to refer, Strauss, to is related to the microTower, both of which require a commercial licence from you to build commercially. Hence our understanding that he had bought a licence from you.

I am having him contact you directly to get that straightened out.

dave

Mark and Dave,
Read this.
Wagner
I am not talking about the BIB. Also take a look at a couple of the other designs.
Martin

Martin,
I think Scott worked on these designs with Kurt (if my memory is correct), they'll have the details and timeline. Given that I paid Scotts licence fee in 2009, surely he's subsequently at liberty to offer his work to other parties. likely the designs you've referred to are covered. You might email Kurt to sell him your Mathcad and seek a future licencing arrangement. He may be receptive despite your initial criticism of his site/business.

I've got the emails relating to me making a licences payment (Paypal) and you sending me the login and password info (Sept/Oct 2009). You might recall, I paid a fee for 3 licences (Markaudio, Scott and Bob). From my memory, buying these licences came about from Scott using Mathcad to checkout his calculations on the Pensil 12 box design.

I'm happy for anyone to use the Pensil designs (DIY or commercial) providing its used with the designated Markaudio driver. Given that the Pensil 12's have been in circulation for some time; And I've paid you for mine and Scott licences, I assume the Pensil's use is up to me.

For other box designs that use your Mathcad and apply Markaudio drivers, I'm on record on previous posts encouraging concerned parties to contact you for licencing arrangements.

Mark.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Given that I paid Scotts licence fee in 2009, surely he's subsequently at liberty to offer his work to other parties.

Scott's licence doesn't cover any manufacturer of his designs... they need to get their own.

As it turns out, only a prototype of Wagner has been built and none have been sold.

I assume the Pensils use is up to me.

A 3rd party manufacturer selling Pensils would require his own licence.

dave

Scott's licence doesn't cover any manufacturer of his designs... they need to get their own.
As it turns out, only a prototype of Wagner has been built and none have been sold.
A 3rd party manufacturer selling Pensils would require his own licence.

dave

Dave,
I want Martin to answer this. Let him speak for himself. What you describe is not the arrangement I agreed with Martin in 2009.

Mark.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To get an answer from Martin you will need to email him directly, he won't answer here.

attachment.php

The arrangement Scott & i have been working under is that any designs done using MJK for a 3rd party require the 3rd party to purchase a 1-time commercial licence (as opposed to an annual one) to legitamize the for profit builds of the designs we have done (Scott designs, i draw).

If Martin gave you a non-standard licence i am not privy to that.

dave

Attachments

• MJK-status.png
    MJK-status.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 788
To get an answer from Martin you will need to email him directly, he won't answer here.

attachment.php

The arrangement Scott & i have been working under is that any designs done using MJK for a 3rd party require the 3rd party to purchase a 1-time commercial licence (as opposed to an annual one) to legitamize the for profit builds of the designs we have done (Scott designs, i draw).

If Martin gave you a non-standard licence i am not privy to that.

dave

Dave,
I paid for mine, Scotts and Bob's licences on a "commercial" basis, one business to another and not on the terms you describe. Martin and I know each other's emails. We'll no doubt sort it out in time.

My hope is that Martin and I can clarify our 2009 licencing terms and publicise them to help avoid future confusion.

In the meantime, I refer all other parties who've built Pensils on a commercial basis to my previous post.

Mark.

Last edited:
Gordian not

Well I didn't. I ran away and became a finish carpenter for RBs. People like MJK who stood up in the ill wind of our greedy time have my complete admiration and gratitude, as does any other willing contributor here. Hopefully I can offer up some tidbit that will move another enthusiast's learning curve along. We can only start from where we are.

The sad end result is that GM and MJK are unhappy and MJK has stopped contributing (GM too?). And all they wanted to do was to help us diy'ers build speakers based on their knowledge and expertise. All it appears to take is a couple of guys trying to make a profit on it without their consent. Diy'ers lose.

Does this mean that as far as anyone on DIY Audio is concerned, anyone producing a TQWT speaker is thieving the intellectual property of the BiB?

I find that a bit of a stretch, unless you could prove that they used the spreadsheets available to derive their driver placement, taper length, mouth area and then did no tweaking by ear or modification of the design.

I know for a fact that well before TC was selling BiB's there was a limited manufacture builder in Australia selling TQWT's commercially, (as of course were Castle in the UK).

What exactly makes a TQWT a BiB. What variation from the published mathcad specs makes a TQWT no longer a BiB?

The sad end result is that GM and MJK are unhappy and MJK has stopped contributing (GM too?). And all they wanted to do was to help us diy'ers build speakers based on their knowledge and expertise. All it appears to take is a couple of guys trying to make a profit on it without their consent. Diy'ers lose.

Let prima donnas be prima donnas. One of the hard-won lessons of my life is that being intelligent and knowledgeable has no bearing on a person being sensible or reasonable.

Now, I don't know what MJK has been subjected to on this board, but if it's stuff like the above that instigated his response, even over time, it seems a bit like overreacting and having too tender feelings.
People treating him like a saint, seem to forget the fact that he is also commercial, and that that is probably what it's really all about. Whether it be pocket money or more doesn't matter.

It's not like the future of our hobby hinges around one guy, that wouldn't be healthy anyway. Great speakers were build before MJK, and great speakers will continue to be built, with or without the mathcad sheets.

Last edited:
Does this mean that as far as anyone on DIY Audio is concerned, anyone producing a TQWT speaker is thieving the intellectual property of the BiB?

I find that a bit of a stretch, unless you could prove that they used the spreadsheets available to derive their driver placement, taper length, mouth area and then did no tweaking by ear or modification of the design.

I know for a fact that well before TC was selling BiB's there was a limited manufacture builder in Australia selling TQWT's commercially, (as of course were Castle in the UK).

What exactly makes a TQWT a BiB. What variation from the published mathcad specs makes a TQWT no longer a BiB?

It's a good thing Terry isn't around to see his name involved in this nonsense - the whole nomenclature of "BiB" originated from his project and article posted on John Melhuish's SingleDriver Website - his "BiB" was nothing more that a TQWT on steroids, if you will. IINM, its own commercial lifespan was short-lived as the particular Fostex driver that he originally intended to use was discontinued by the manufacturer, and he ultimately followed up with a smaller enclosure - the Abby (itself essentially a variation on simple Voigt pipe) that used two Fostex drivers still in production at the time ( FE166E and FF165K) . Then of course there were the BEN (Big ENough?) single and double front mouth BLH - also based on prior art - from the Nagaoka school.

Neither the BiB, or to the best of my knowledge any of Cain & Cain, or their successor Lovecraft designs were engineered with MJK's mathcad worksheets, although they could no doubt be modeled with, and presumably improved upon with them.

IINM, Jeff (Godzilla) was a major benefactor to the DIY community with his now sadly missed BIB site - his name certainly belongs to the short list of folks that should be torqued up about the commercialization of this particular design.

But I think the over-arching issue here is the lack of acknowledgement and payment of licensing fees for commercial manufacturing on any scale of any loudspeaker enclosure clearly designed with the use of Martin's worksheets. (the "clearly" part being perhaps not always so easy to prove?)

In any case, it seems to me that there's not much grey area there - every commercial manufacturer building enclosures designed with those programs (even by 3rd parties such as Scott, Bob Brines, etc.) must have their own separate commercial license. Only Martin can decide which/ when special considerations might be appropriate - but should such circumstances arise, would it not also be his responsibility to disclose that?

hence the Gordian knot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.