Combination of Back-loaded Horn and Fron loaded horn?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the front Horn seems Tractrix to me

Probably, given the history of Lowther with them.

...and BLH should be at least 4 meters or so... really interesting

That's news to me.

From the Lowther site:
"This well-known ideal dimension eliminates the possibility of standing waves developing from reflected sound waves inside"

The Lowther site is the only place I've ever seen that claim. Nor am I aware of any physics that supports the contention that it can 'eliminate the possibility of standing waves.' You'd need to ensure it's impedance-matched to Fo for that. The ~178in expansion path just means the horn is nominally tuned to 38Hz, 1/2 wave (assuming an SoS of 13560 in/sec). And with a pathlength like that & a forward-firing terminus, you'll have to make sure you've got a steep acoustic low-pass to ensure group delay is within reasonable limits.

Last edited:
Lowther TP1 is really fantastic to me. its giving me idea to sketch up my own plan for my Philips 5 inchers fullranges...
the front Horn seems Tractrix to me and BLH should be at least 4 meters or so... really interesting
anybody has a plan or something?

might take a bit more googling to find a detailed set of measured plans for the TP1, but here's a quickie view of internals;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This drawing doesn't tell reveal much more:

http://www.lowtherloudspeakers.com/drawings/tp1isis.pdf

Not an easy build, I'd imagine

Last edited:
i reckon the beuhorn would not be too hard to clone
its not much different to the big fun horn

the measurements also (dimensions) indicate the same ,just a big fun horn with a 2 to 300mm deep throat/horn on the front

i,m sure the guys here could figure it out easy (famous last words)

do you have firm basis for this supposition?

building any these more elaborate designs might not be the easiest of Saturday afternoon projects, but without accurate measurements of internal details, the results of most careful craftsmanship won't necessarily guarantee the same results as the original

cloning assumes you have a sample of DNA with which to work - in the case of a speaker enclosure with no as built drawings available, there's always deconstructive analysis (been there)

have a look at the 2 designs

its not brain surgery to figure out the beuhorn is just a variation of the big fun horn
i would go further to suggest that the guys from beuhorn used the bfg as there starting point (imho of course)

all the plans are available online for the bfg so its just a matter of front loading the driver as well

depth looks to be around 200mm so i would use that and the cab width as a starting point

i,m not suggesting i have the technical skills (carpentry yes) to do this but many on this site have

cheers

have a look at the 2 designs

its not brain surgery to figure out the beuhorn is just a variation of the big fun horn
i would go further to suggest that the guys from beuhorn used the bfg as there starting point (imho of course)

all the plans are available online for the bfg so its just a matter of front loading the driver as well

depth looks to be around 200mm so i would use that and the cab width as a starting point

i,m not suggesting i have the technical skills (carpentry yes) to do this but many on this site have

cheers

Actually, from a discussion herein about 8yrs ago

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/34029-beauhorn-virtuoso-clones.html#post394175

I'd be inclined to accept Thorstein's observation in reply #4 this thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.