Coldamp Six Channels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi David,

How did you make that logo and text (nice font).
I want to make text on timber of my new tube amp project.

Helmuth

I work at a University & have recently finished building a $2m workshop in the Architecture, Engineering precinct, I was running the project for the Uni. I became friends with the technicians that ran the old workshop & they where very happy when I built them a new one. The have lots of yummy machinery, although a lot of it is pretty old. The logo was cut with a laser, they have two but unfortunately they wont cut metal. I scanned a design into CorelDraw that my brother had sketched, modified it, & went to the boy's in the workshop, & they worked their magic. Its pretty amazing really, surprisingly the laser doesn't leave scorch marks when it is only cutting shallow.

We did a test run on a piece of MDF, then put masking tape over the logo area & cut through the tape, I then sprayed the logo area, filled it with resin & removed the tape, yes it was lots of work for such a small logo. Next time I do it I will try putting on the first coat of lacquer before the laser as I had a little bit of bleeding of the spray paint.

The logo's just a bit of fun, all of the DIY audio gear I build will have a lizard of some sort on it. I'm not 100% happy with the design yet as it was done in a rush, The MiniDSP I'm going to put together will have a slightly modified version.

But that's probably not much help to you.

Attachments

• Lizard Logo0001.JPG
    Lizard Logo0001.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 194
I work at a University & have recently finished building a $2m workshop in the Architecture, Engineering precinct, I was running the project for the Uni. I became friends with the technicians that ran the old workshop & they where very happy when I built them a new one. The have lots of yummy machinery, although a lot of it is pretty old. The logo was cut with a laser, they have two but unfortunately they wont cut metal. I scanned a design into CorelDraw that my brother had sketched, modified it, & went to the boy's in the workshop, & they worked their magic. Its pretty amazing really, surprisingly the laser doesn't leave scorch marks when it is only cutting shallow.

We did a test run on a piece of MDF, then put masking tape over the logo area & cut through the tape, I then sprayed the logo area, filled it with resin & removed the tape, yes it was lots of work for such a small logo. Next time I do it I will try putting on the first coat of lacquer before the laser as I had a little bit of bleeding of the spray paint.

The logo's just a bit of fun, all of the DIY audio gear I build will have a lizard of some sort on it. I'm not 100% happy with the design yet as it was done in a rush, The MiniDSP I'm going to put together will have a slightly modified version.

But that's probably not much help to you.
Nice to know the procedure David.

I my home town we have a firm with laser-cutter to cut sheet metal. They won't do only one piece for my I am afraid.
I will spray over a cut out sticker and hope it will work out.

Hi DQ828,

I am seriously thinking of building a stereo three-ways amp with 2 Coldamp SPS 80 and 6 BP4078. It will be dual mono..; with volume control.

With the experience, would you now considerate the six channel volume potentiometer adequate for day to day volume control?

How do you like the sound, especially of the high frequencies?

PS: nice job you've done; inspiring!

Hi DQ828,

I am seriously thinking of building a stereo three-ways amp with 2 Coldamp SPS 80 and 6 BP4078. It will be dual mono..; with volume control.

With the experience, would you now considerate the six channel volume potentiometer adequate for day to day volume control?

How do you like the sound, especially of the high frequencies?

PS: nice job you've done; inspiring!

The volume control seems to be fine, although I only use it to set the maximum volume & use the Squeezebox as the volume control. I don't see why it could not be used day to day.

Since I took the photo's I have completely rebuilt the amp as my fancy looking wiring was actually badly done & introducing noise. I have slightly repositioned the module (pushed forward) so it is easier to get to the headers for testing purposes. I have rewired all of the power in' to the module & the noise is much better. I probably should rewire the signal outs (twisted pair) but couldn't be bothered at this stage.

The jury is still out on the sound quality, I am about to build a A-B test rig to compare it to my Integra AV receiver, I also don't know if the modules have a burn in time as a lot of audio gear seems to. I will only be able to compare two channels through my P17 passive speakers but I believe this will still show me how the amps compare. Sergio at Coldamp has been VERY helpful.

David

Thanks for the nice feedback, David.

If there is the possibility to control both channels volume before the xover, it is always simpler, then adjust the relative levels of low, mid and highs after it, using a small trimmer or similar plugged into the POT header.

There are many other combination of Coldamp products depending on budget, power needed and speaker impedance. For example, a very interesting combination for stereo triamp is to use 2 Sonora Combo 2S300, one for each channel, and a Sonora S250 fed by the each combo for the highs. This can provide a healty 350W/4ohm for bass and 150 for mids&highs (that's a lot, believe me).

For 5.1 setups, you can also use three Sonora Combos: one for main left&right (300W/4ohm x 2), another one feeding an additional S250 for for Rear L,R & Center, and one in bridge mode for the subwoofer. This is an optimal use of the power capabilities of the modules, with more headroom where it is really needed.

The Combos always ease installation a lot, and they are also internally synchronized, reducing the chance of noises if wiring is not properly done.

Final Update

Well the amp has been running for a while now & it is sounding just great, it was lacking a little bit of punch early on but I followed Coldamp's advice & added some more capacitance to the fuel tank & now there is all the punch I will ever need. In fact the son has Robert Randolf & the Family band blasting away in the background & the whole house is rocking.

I'm very happy with the amp & as I have said a few times before, Coldamp's after sales service is excellent. As a beginner I would never have been able to do this without the enormous amount of help Sergio has given me, at last count there where 64 email replies, nobody told me LED's had polarity :) well Sergio did, he is quite a long distance detective.

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.