Coffee Grinder Enclosure (Noise Reduction)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love my coffee grinder but it's extremely noisy. It's a Baratza Sette 270. I have other coffee grinders that are much more quiet -- pleasant sounding, actually -- but they are designed for commercial use so not good for single dose passthrough. The nice sounding grinders use steel enclosures.

Because I think the grinder is worth it, I want to build a noise reduction enclosure. I'm not sure how I'm going to approach this yet so I started by trying to measure it with REW.

If anyone has ideas on how to approach a noise reduction enclosure I am all ears.

Now that I think about it, I should probably measure the nice sounding grinder so see why that one is ok. I'll do that later and post the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_114225936.jpg
    IMG_20201128_114225936.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 338
  • CoffeeGrinder.jpg
    CoffeeGrinder.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 360
Try getting a hand grinder and stick a motor with reduction gear box ( a battery drill as a temporary measure ), the slower speed, say 100 rpm instead of 2800 rpm could reduce the noise. You could stick loads of blue tac to the outside of the one you've got just to see ( hear ) if there's any difference. I share your annoyance with noisy kitchen appliances.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Oh come on now.... !
Worrying about some noisy coffee grinder...... that's ON maybe less than a minute?
A TEMPorary noise like that?
And the the kitchen is quiet again....?

It reminds me of all the stuff I hear about people being "offended" by dumb little things.
But I digress.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I used to grind coffee with a Krups grinder - much smaller. I would wrap a kitchen towel around it.

Noise reduction is all about air tight enclosures with walls that absorb pressure waves and do not re-radiate.

A quick and dirty way is to find a suitable airtight container like a 5 gal plastic paint bucket. Line is with Noico foil faced autosound butyl. Use hot melt glue to line the inside with melamine foam pads, or use the fancy foam rubber sound absorbing foam with peel off adhesive. Put window weather strip gasket on bottom rim for airtight seal. Put a 10lb bar bell weight on top (to keep airtight pressue on rim) and place bucket over the grinder. You need a small divet/cutout for the power cord make sure it has a gasket. Or install an extension cord throigh the wall and seal with glue for airtight seal and plug grinder into the internal extension cord receptacle. That should work but is kind a of a pain to store when not in use. It could serve a stool I suppose if decorated on the outside. Leave in kitchen for step stool for reaching high shelves or for kids to sit on. If you wanted to get fancy, build a 3/4in thick Baltic Birch ply "grinder cabinet" lined with same stuff and have a door on hinges with gasket and a latch. :)

Or switch to Nespresso and stop grinding and enjoy coffee as good made by a barrista on the street corner cafe's of Europe. :)

Last edited:
The easiest and cheapest solution would be wearing a pair of hearing protectors like "3M PELTOR Over-the-Head Ear Muffs", providing 28dB noise reduction while you are grinding.

If you don't want to mess your hair up wearing dead-phones, you could build a box lined with noise absorption, or modify an ice chest that fits. It will need good gaskets to achieve anything approaching 28dB reduction.

I've, on occasion, brought my grinder out on the back deck and plugged it in there, to keep from disturbing others still sleeping in the house. That's how important coffee is.

Also, I have mine on a tray, along with a grounds bucket, to help keep the mess from propagation across the countertop. It helps - some. I think you're into an enclosed structure of some kind; perhaps integrating a mess-keeper tray into that makes the idea of doing a build more worth while. Coffee central command center!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I have a microwave oven that rings when a coffee mug lands on the platter. It's as if a 'solid feel' isn't a consideration anymore. It's a good brand too.

You know how to solve that.......
Put one of those fancy-dancy expensive audiophile turntable platter mats on the damn thing.... it'll kill the ringing, and your coffee will sound so much clearer. :rolleyes:

For the very same reason do I have a silicon pad on top of the microwave oven platter to avoid the loud ringing hitting it.

btw, the same oven went through a little operation and got the series resistor with the piezo buzzer de-soldered on one side for the reason it was very loud, I guess my neurotic audiophile bat ears are just quite sensitive to noise. :)

I have other coffee grinders that are much more quiet -- pleasant sounding, actually -- but they are designed for commercial use so not good for single dose passthrough.
You'll be surprised how many coffee aficionados use commercial grinder at home even if they use is for one coffee a day. I've been using coffee bean grinders at home for over 20 years and one thing that's been consistent is that the noise level comes goes with the price.

Your grinder looks sexy and if I were you, I wouldn't put things on it. If the noise bothers you that much, get a different grinder, say something like Ceado. Yes, they do cost a bit.

Xrk987, I used to do exactly the same kitchen towel thing.
It was to not wake up my wife. I wanted the smell of the coffee to wake her up instead. Pretty much one of those brownie point things..

Bradley, perhaps a large glass vase upside down over a disk of plywood with rubber foam under the grinder.

How do you turn it on? Mine I had to press a switch on the top.
On second thought, I looked at your picture, a vase won't fit. Perhaps an acrylic box with some foam
absorption.

Jn

Last edited:
Suggestion 1:

coffee-grinder-ksm1-by-reinhold-weiss-for-braun-1960s.jpg

went from "standard kitchen appliance" to "vintage" in some 30 years without me noticing.
In any case works flawlessly like the first day.
Never worried about noise (which is quite bearable anyway) but if needed I am quite certain a folded wet towel around it will work wonders.

Suggestion 2:
and not kidding: you want fresh ground coffee plus independence from mains power?
Then look no further than:
best-manual-coffee-grinders-ol9ioan6hre07qvibhcas50pckevdxkrn27t4lqluo.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.