Clock Selection Experts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've been trying to get some info from Crystek about basic psu specs to achieve the 170dB noise floor - noise level and bandwidth and the xo's own ripple rejection. Unfortunately, they won't tell me, they just tell me stuff like "lowest possible" and "look at the datasheet".

Does anyone have any idea ? Can any local US citizen contact them about this ?

Thanks for any help. I've pre-ordered a couple to try and they are supposed to ship today.

In Japanese DIY digital audio community, SMD type oscillator made by NDK is becoming very popular. Though this component does not directly meet your requirement, DIP 14pin type, two people in Japan made their efforts as these two pictures show;

"Ken" on his blog page;
129729189366816123670_clock3.jpg

"atsukita" is an expert of replacing parts;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
m_4-89e7d.jpg

The second problem is its long lead time, 1.5 - 3 month.
--------------------------------------------------------
CMOS output Crystal Clock Oscillator NZ2520SD
manufactured by a Japanese leading crystal maker, Nihon Dempa Kogyo Co., Ltd.
NZ2520SD(OA / AV)/Crystal Clock Oscillators/NDK

Part number for +3.3V power version are;
NZ2520SD-22.579200M-NSA3449B
NZ2520SD-24.576000M-NSA3449B

The model has a remarkable low phase noise profile. According to their measurement result sheet, Phase Noise [dBc/Hz] 26MHz 3.3V for 5 samples
1Hz: max -76, min -81
10Hz: max -108, min -111
100Hz: max -136, min -138
1kHz: max -151, min -152
10kHz: max -156, min -157

The component is available for personal users by way of a Japanese online web store, chip1stop.
?????????????? - ????????? | ???? (In Japanese, You can switch to English and Dollar currency page.)
The price I bought was 1,500 JPY / piece ( 20 USD/ piece ) and 1,000 JPY/10 piece.

thanks for that Info
I like to buy 1 pcs of NDK XO at 11.2896
are there others wanting to buy xo at 11.2896 MHz to meet 10 pcs discount

Crystek clocks arrived today, but still no word from Crystek themselves - shockingly poor customer service.

Size comparisons:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Mounted to a dip 14 socket using ofc wire :

22Mhz burning in.... powr is from 2 x 317 configured as a pre-tracking reg + reg, then an adp150 3.3V reg with Nichicon LE 860uF ultra low esr caps.

Last edited:
Got mine...

CCHD-957s are now mounted up in my SOtM Async USB receiver. Even cold out of the box these made for a really nice improvement: more liquid, decays hold on longer into a blacker pool, transients are better refined, while listening ease is greater with a removal of a glassy quality on some transients I had not realized was there-until it was gone...
Nice!

+1

The 22Mhz is a very clear upgrade from the Vanguard 1ppm. Much more definition. And they cost about the same.

I don't know if they need time to settle in, so I gave it a day anyway, before doing any listening.

So thanks for the heads up on this clock ! I hope thy do an 11.2896 and 12.000 at some point.

You can use a 74ch163N to halve the 22 to 11. It'll add about 6db noise but that isn't such an issue as it still means a very very low noise floor. Most important is the clock gets an ultra low noise supply.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/74HC_HCT163_CNV.pdf

But yeah, I'd love them if they released 11.2896 and 12.000. In the meantime, there are Vanguard 0.3ppm and Tent labs so no big deal.

Last edited:
You can use a 74ch163N to halve the 22 to 11. It'll add about 6db noise but that isn't such an issue as it still means a very very low noise floor. Most important is the clock gets an ultra low noise supply.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/74HC_HCT163_CNV.pdf

But yeah, I'd love them if they released 11.2896 and 12.000. In the meantime, there are Vanguard 0.3ppm and Tent labs so no big deal.

I prefer KWAK-CLOCK....
ppm means nothing

Did you see how the "others" calculate the jitter compared with the fox datasheet? Anybody can claim 1ps, but properly calculating and advertising the resulting jitter takes some level or proffesionalism.
Phase jitter of Foxcon is below 1ps RMS if you don't care about other "details".

Attachments

• jitter.jpg
    jitter.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 758
  • noise.jpg
    noise.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
The digital

engineers I trust, who I have corresponded with, all agree that phase noise is the important specification for oscillator performance in audio. Especially phase noise at low frequencies (<=10 Hz). so comparing the phase noise plots should get the best information.
By this spec, the NDKs recommended by Bunpei, and the Crystek CCHD Series both look good.
Do not that phase noise varies somewhat by frequency as well, when comparing the phase noise plots published by Crystek.

And then there's power.... unless there's some major magic going on, dirty power is going to increase jitter.... and no company I have emailed will tell me the specs of their bench test supplies.

So I try them and trust my ears. So far cchd957 is best, a no-brand ocxo is next, then Vanguard 0.3ppm and Tent Labs joint third....and all of these are really excellent. I have quite a few brands of 1ppm dip14 tcxo's that are quite good and the xo91 is almost as good as the worst of them.

I haven't tried any of the Fox parts and I still want to try the Audiocomm superclock, but the price is a bit high. I'm hoping someone has compared these to the Tent or something I know .... anyone ?

No question

That power supply is critical. I am sure Crysteks specified measurements are made with very low noise supplies, in an isolated lab setting.
For us, an isolated, low noise supply, with very low output impedance (to keep clock frequencies from modulated the supplies) is needed to get the best performance out of any oscillator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.