• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cleaning up baked enamel/painted finishes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My amp chassis are Hammond steel ones that have a black baked enamel finish on them...long story short, there's a bit of an oil-based wood stain on them. What would you guys suggest to take the stain off without damaging the finish underneath?

Also, I've got to dust/clean them off anyway. What would you guys suggest for that, and maybe something to remove surface dirt/contaminates? The finish on the transformers is painted...I'm a little worried about scratching that....

Thanks guys :cool:

Some things I would try. Polishing compound found in auto stores. It's a past that you rub on but it's milder then rubbing compound which is more aggressive. Mother's Mag Wheel polish. And something called AFTA. It's available from places like Home Depot back in the glue/paint area. It's an inhibited organic solvent, and it won't attack well cured paint.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.