Cleaning a crackling dual concentric volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Servisol Super 10 won't damage anything and I believe that's the switch cleaner with built in lubricant so it's ideal for pots. If you can't or don't want to take your Ferrograph apart, or don't feel there's sufficient access for an aerosol to do any good, my experience is that dribbling cleaner down the (constantly rotated) shaft with the amp resting on its back panel, will allow ingress to the working parts.

well my suggestion might be to little to late.
when trying to determine whether a potentiometer is just too old and worn out and needs to be replaced or a new control is noisy i always look for the presence of any dc across the control a good many "noisy" pot is the victim of leaky coupling/interstage caps. i've been surprised at just how little dc leakage it takes to make an otherwise acceptable control appear noisy
at the age of the unit in question this could be the case.
Sorry, I'm not with you here, how would I do this test, presumably using a DVM but what am I testing?

I have tried attaching a parts list and the schematic for my Amp (courtesy of HiFi Engine) but they are too big. You may find them at the link above. My Amp is a Mk. 2 version.

Servisol Super 10 won't damage anything and I believe that's the switch cleaner with built in lubricant so it's ideal for pots. If you can't or don't want to take your Ferrograph apart, or don't feel there's sufficient access for an aerosol to do any good, my experience is that dribbling cleaner down the (constantly rotated) shaft with the amp resting on its back panel, will allow ingress to the working parts.
Thanks, I will give that a go at the weekend.

Joined 2011
Sorry, I'm not with you here, how would I do this test, presumably using a DVM but what am I testing?

I have tried attaching a parts list and the schematic for my Amp (courtesy of HiFi Engine) but they are too big. You may find them at the link above. My Amp is a Mk. 2 version.

Thanks, I will give that a go at the weekend.

You could just go ahead and replace the capacitor feeding the volume control and see if it helps.

well i can't find a listing of ingredients for Servisol 10 but as a service tech i can tell you long horrible stories about all manner of things people have destroyed potentiometers with.
not saying Servisol 10 is bad for pots i don't have enough information on it.
switch and relay cleaners are formulated for metal oxide removal and a good many can strip the track right off an Alps or P&G fader faster than you can say it.
if the label doesn't say safe for potentiometers and faders i'd be leary....

i guess my masochistic streak is was what leads me to try and help...

well i can't find a listing of ingredients for Servisol 10 but as a service tech i can tell you long horrible stories about all manner of things people have destroyed potentiometers with.
not saying Servisol 10 is bad for pots i don't have enough information on it.
switch and relay cleaners are formulated for metal oxide removal and a good many can strip the track right off an Alps or P&G fader faster than you can say it.
if the label doesn't say safe for potentiometers and faders i'd be leary....

i guess my masochistic streak is was what leads me to try and help...
Google is my friend - Servisol Super 10 ingredients. and here is a Technical Data Sheet. I don't know if they help?

Servisol Super 10 is available from Amazon and Maplin in the UK.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Servisol of old used to attack plastics. It was common to find that a volume pot in a TV that had been squirted with the stuff required a full replacement cabinet some months later due the plastic rotting and crumbling. Maybe the formulation has changed but beware.

well i had enough time to look through the Servisol web site if it was my choice i'd use the Aero Clean 50 but that's just me.
Any particular reason for that choice? Amazon says:

• Servisol Super 10 - Switch and contact cleaning lubricant. Removes tarnish and other deposits. Residual lubricating film protects contact surfaces. Increases surface area and reduces resistance. Prevents arcing between dry contacts.
  • Servisol Aero Klene 50 - Electronic cleaning solvent with rapid evaporation that ensures no residues. Suitable for dry contact switches and other precision instruments. Safe to use on most plastics, rubber and other delicate materials. , Suitable for: Switches, connectors, etc.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Those products are pretty much the options for most contact cleaner spray compounds sold now to the public. i.e. with or without a smidgin of protective mineral oil.
I doubt the residual amount will be enough - or viscous enough, to last long on a carbon pot track, assuming the liquid can make its way to where required in useful amounts.

If you consider how long the path is to get the substance to seep down between the concentric shafts and across to the track of the rear pot, you might decide to form some little holding cup around the shaft to ensure it happens before you waste the whole can on the front panel. There may still be grease in that gap between the shafts, which may slow things. You still have to provide a drain for the excess solvent from each pot. too. Perhaps tilting it to drain from the area near the connections will do. The pots will feel loose later, but good luck with that method - it is winging it but I guess that's better than doing nothing :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.