Classical guitar string and capo recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello:
I just bought a used La Patrie, "Presentation" model, classical guitar. I am looking for string and capo recommendations. I have very short fingernails on my plucking hand and I won't being growing my nails. Also, I like to use capo's and my standard Kyser works poorly on it.
Thanks,
Franz

I work with musicians for a living. I recommend you contact my friends over at www.elderly.com and ask what they think. Tell them Enzo from SHiawassee Technical sent you. (I do much of their electronic service.) My brother in law is a professional classical guitarist, and he likes Saint Augustine Reds or maybe D'addario hard tensions depending on his mood. But that may not be your choice. I was discussing capos with him and it seemed he liked any kind that worked and was otherwise not all that picky. The folks at Elderly Instruments are very knowledgable and pretty friendly too.

Thanks for the considered responses. I picked up a set of D'Addario Pro-Arte Hard Tension's, EJ46. I'm curiuos about the Aquila Nylgut's, as I like gut strings on my upright bass. I'll pick up a Kyser "Classical" or "12 String" capo when I hit the music store next.

having fun with the new guitar,
Franz

I don't play my nylon string enough to warrant changing the strings at this point but I've always wondered what strings Alvaez Yairi provided on their older higher end guitars such as the CY-117. For some reason, their G strings always integrated very nicely with the rest. Of the five sets or so that I've gone through, the G string always sounds distinctively less vibrant than the rest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.