Class H amplifier idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to the response.
That is.But a class AB amplifier has a superior sound quality than a class D.

I think in this way we have quality of class AB and efficiency of class D.

I have designed class d and class ab and to be honest cant tell the difference.
Both give clear and good bandwidth sound.

I guess it depends how well they are designed as to which might sound better.

Thanks to the response.
That is.But a class AB amplifier has a superior sound quality than a class D.

I don't know what on earth gave you that idea. The very best amplifiers I've ever heard have all, without exception been some form of class-D amps (Tripath, UcD, TACT etc.).

I should note that I've listened to hundreds of amps.

Last edited:
I don't know what on earth gave you that idea. The very best amplifiers I've ever heard have all, without exception been some form of class-D amps (Tripath, UcD, TACT etc.).

I claim....this is not true a class AB amplifier has really a superior sound quality than a class D

Compare to some 15 - 30 years old Class AB professional amps TRIPATH Class D and newer IRF IC design Class D with IRS 2092 IC, IR2010 IC.... sound terrible in mid and high, only effeciency for bass

If I will find good sounding powerful class D in future it will change my views

Test Class D amps in premium PA, no way the sound is hard and not amazing

you will replace with class AB / H amps

with low output power "Hi-FI" Class D sound good with "Hi-FI" speakers but high output power.... only bass

Last edited:
That because of its very low output impedance. That means no loudspeaker free space for its reflected moving. The loudspeaker will receive more heat, and less reflex. It is totally forced. It also happen in some MOSFET amplifier that also has hig DF with it.
That is, why class D always fail with total failures and the designers don't know why and still saying class D is the best. Hear it for long time listening and you will notice the difference, compare it with your low DF class AB, 50-200DF in this case.
I am stop with ClassD and leave it years ago and never interested in it again. The best is tracking rail right now. It gives constant Vce or Vds (for mosfet) that very helpful to deal with voltage characteristics.

Yes this idea is the best but not new one:
This one is discussing more witth it http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...has-eeengine-topology-where-diy-projects.html

Last edited:
I claim....this is not true a class AB amplifier has really a superior sound quality than a class D

Compare to some 15 - 30 years old Class AB professional amps TRIPATH Class D and newer IRF IC design Class D with IRS 2092 IC, IR2010 IC.... sound terrible in mid and high, only effeciency for bass

If I will find good sounding powerful class D in future it will change my views
And that is your opinion, I don't find anything terrible in all of the range...really depends on what you have listen to, how it was set up and so on

Test Class D amps in premium PA, no way the sound is hard and not amazing

you will replace with class AB / H amps

with low output power "Hi-FI" Class D sound good with "Hi-FI" speakers but high output power.... only bass

I don't agree either - but I like Lab.Gruppen Class TD for high power. You can track thier working Class TD amps back to 1990, so not a new concept ;)

Anybody could say it's opinion, but that's not proof of anything.
The facts are:
- Class D amps are made with as low THD, as high Damping Factor, as high frequency coverage (put here any measureable paramter) as a Class AB / H amps. Just look at some professional designs So even a listener with a highly sophisticated ear cannot tell the difference, from an AB or a D calss amp, if their parameters are the same, if he does a BLIND TEST. (or double-blinded test the better...) Of course a not-blinded test can have any result, even depending of the weater or the phase of the moon.
- Class D amps have superior efficiency over Class AB / H amps. So any best-designed Class AB amp cannot have the efficiency of a Class-D amp.

Class H amps can be made without switching power knowledge. So this would predict they are easier to design. Apart from this you can see more simple Class-D designs than Class H designs in this forum.

If somebody likes amps with low Damping Factor (i really don't, thats not what i would consider as HiFi), just put a big power resistor series with the load. Low DF viola.

I don't undrrstand why you would want to have less control over cone, maybe for speaker to "fluf" around uncontrolled... not really precise sound generator if you ask me

I like high Damping Factor, I consider HiFi sound must use high DF amps. But lots of people write pages about the godness of low DF, and the "lifeness" of resonant basses.
i just showed if you have a high DF amp, you can turn it whenever you want to a low DF one...

Ohh you smart guys - when will class D be cold power when it's off !

You're confusing two things I think. Power supply efficiency and amp efficiency.

In class G (or H) that's the same thing but in a class D amp the power supply is seperate. In both efficiency should theoretically scale according to output level but some SMPS's lose efficiency faster than they theoretically should so that at very low volume levels a class G (or H) amp is more efficient. Also because in class D amps there are 2 seperate units that each draws idle current.

If you use a trafo (which have a pretty much constant 98% efficiency) or battery supplies for the class D amp it will always be more efficient.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.