Class D module/amp to reach 5Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am wanting to know if there is a class D amp or module available that will run from 5Hz and up? I'm not a designer but I can put together a module with SMPS etc to get something running. In terms of power, I would like 250-300watts into 8 ohms. Basically I want to be able to drive a low frequency subwoofer (or two ;) )

I couldn't find any threads on this but if you can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated :)

ps. doing this on a budget so not interested in labgrupen pricing

I am wanting to know if there is a class D amp or module available that will run from 5Hz and up? I'm not a designer but I can put together a module with SMPS etc to get something running. In terms of power, I would like 250-300watts into 8 ohms. Basically I want to be able to drive a low frequency subwoofer (or two ;) )

I couldn't find any threads on this but if you can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated :)

ps. doing this on a budget so not interested in labgrupen pricing

Which woofer has its frequency response down to 5Hz??

Saturnus, the figures you have are way above what my investigation has shown. For example, this study. Don't have a problem being proven wrong but these are the numbers, ~110dB, I have seen more than once. I found this article which partially differentiates between detection and feeling. However, I do not want to reach high SPLs for long periods of time.

Last edited:
Subsonic frequencies can be felt with modest amplifier power, if you mount a so-called "shaker" to your sofa - although I do not know if this works well at < 10 Hz too .... maybe a very heavy shaker would do...
That gives me a new idea: As it usually takes giant membranes to produce substantial sound waves <10 Hz, has anybody tried mounting one or more shakers to a room wall ? (not a brick wall but a light room dividing one that can move if pushed). This way one could get an effective membrane area of many m^2...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.