Class D amplifer for Magnepan 3.6R bass section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never built or used anything that works in class D. I'm thinking that it may be a good choice to use one to drive the bass sections of my MG 36R. The crossover frequency is about 200Hz. The driver is about 3.3 Ohms with recommended amplifier power of 100W. What project should I look at to get the best quality sound?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have the ICEpower 1000ASP Monoblocks powering my Magnepan Tympani IVa bass panels. Those two huge bass panels put that power to use. Nothing like feeling your innards resonate to bass notes.

I have a Krell KSA-50 Clone powering the mid/ribbons. Everything gets separated by a Behringer DCX2496 electronic crossover. Sounds about as good as I have heard it.

I also had Hypex UCD400 and UCD180 and they both sound very good. I would also strongly recommend an ESP P-101 power amp (not class D but still over 350 wpc @4 ohms with 70V rails). A relatively easy build, although not as plug and play easy as the Hypex. The P-101 had cleaner, more deeper and stronger bass than the Hypex UCD400. They really surprised me...

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have the 1000ASP on bass duty, not full range. The Icepower 1000ASP has a bit more power that really makes the Maggies sing. Just short of the Icepower was the P-101. The Icepower 200ASC, Hypex 400/180 can't really match the P-101 on bass. I really liked my UCD400 a lot, but chose to keep the P-101, but reluctantly sold it to a local guy who really liked it. I have not checked out the UCD700.

Even full range, the P-101 impressed me more than the UCD400/180 and the Icepower 200ASC. It just did everything good. Just a notch under the Krell.

The only thing bad about the P-101 was the expensive output devices (2sk1058/2sj162) and the fact that it wasn't differential input. Otherwise, worth every penny if you ask me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.