Class D amp boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, Antennaguru.
Any thoughts on my first question about what to do with the shield braid around the two input wires? It's not coax; there are two wires and the shield.

Rick

Rick, I'm not sure what you mean. Early on I built one of the 50 ASX2 SE into a box to test and there wasn't any shielding on the signal input wires. Please include a picture that shows this.

Please note this picture of a 50 ASX2 SE with just pairs of wires coming from the board for signal input.

IcePower 50ASX2 by c f, on Flickr

Has anyone done a pass b1/dcb1 buffer with the icepower module as an integrated setup? How were the audio results for you?

I assume with the b1/dcb1 buffer the output impedance will be good for the icepower input right?

i had a B1 buffer (output imped. set to 39 ohms) to 125asx and it was the best amp i have had. only issue was that the ice mod. was too delicate and me too clumsy and i shorted a channel.

Antennaguru, I got the wire harness kit from PE, just a few weeks ago, along with the 50 ASX2SE boards. Pics below.
I did some more reading, and I think I should leave the shield grounded at the board-end only. Wouldn't grounding both ends cause a loop?

Attachments

• IMG_20190619_080213.jpg
    IMG_20190619_080213.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_20190619_080232.jpg
    IMG_20190619_080232.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Antennaguru, I got the wire harness kit from PE, just a few weeks ago, along with the 50 ASX2SE boards. Pics below.
I did some more reading, and I think I should leave the shield grounded at the board-end only. Wouldn't grounding both ends cause a loop?

That's interesting that PE ships wire harnesses with braid shielding on the input leads. I would say those might be designed for XLR connectors , but in that you're using RCA connectors I would just leave the shield disconnected at the RCA connector end. Whether you would get a ground loop depends more on what PE did with the braid shield at the board end of the cable.

Can you tell which pin they connected the shield to at the board end? If it has it's own pin, then clearly it is designed for XLR connectors, but it it's joined with one of the two signal input leads inside the shield (black or white) at the board end then you could splice to that same color lead at the RCA connector. My preference would be leaving it disconnected unless you get hum.

As you can see on the 50 ASX2 the wiring harness leads I was supplied from my supplier in Hong Kong there were just 2 wires for each channel's signal input which I twisted together. The same was the case for the multiple 125 ASX2 boards I've deployed.

Last edited:
Rick, I'm not sure what you mean. Early on I built one of the 50 ASX2 SE into a box to test and there wasn't any shielding on the signal input wires. Please include a picture that shows this.

Please note this picture of a 50 ASX2 SE with just pairs of wires coming from the board for signal input.

IcePower 50ASX2 by c f, on Flickr

Note that I used the optional power lead connection to power a front panel LED for the board, and simply used a current limiting resistor to get the correct brightness from the LED I was using.

My airflow scheme is a row of half inch holes in the base plate just forward of the board, and then an identical row of un-shown half inch holes on the lid plate but just to the rear of the board to set up a convection path from the base plate holes up and over the board to the lid plate holes. This convection path worked well as that board has seen a couple of years of service and never overheated.

Last edited:
I can power up the boards with speakers attached, right? I seem to remember something about not powering up the TPA3116 boards without a load on them. Is that true?

Yes, there is no need to disconnect the speakers. If there is ever something wrong with the speakers like a short/open the board will just protect itself. The 50 ASX2 and the 125 ASX2 both have built-in over-temperature protection as well, and will just turn off to protect themselves. There are some pins for driving LEDs for protection modes but I have never used them. I have used one of the 50 ASX2 and two of the 125 ASX2 and been very satisfied. I bought pre-made cables/connectors from Ghent Audio.

WRT the auxiliary voltage pins you should be careful about overload as the protection fuse is notorious for blowing and is a solder-in fuse. I'm only using the + side and neutral to drive a front panel LED through a current limiting resistor so am only using a few milliamps. You will be using quite a bit more with a string of fans so I would double check the spec, and remember the fan may present a current inrush as it starts up.

Make sure to go to the IcePower website and download the full data-sheet.

As you certainly have read, it is no good idea with most clas D amps to run with no load.
If it blows you can be sure your board was not made for a no load situation. If it doesn´t blow instandly, it might do just a little bit later. So it is very easy to accept a simple rule: Don´t run class D without load.
Is it a there a special sound experience to be had from no load at amps? Did I miss something, like a new hype? Why do you want to run "load less"?
If you have one channel too much, just load it with a 20 Ohm´s resistor, problem solved...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.