Claritycaps SA Polypropylene 630V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nice caps

Those caps should be very good for a Xover.

AFter the hot glue tip, I figured I'd show mine. I use that Post It putty used to pin up paper. It's yellow and comes from Home Depot and other places. I just use it to damped the leads as they go into the caps to eliminate as much microphonics as possible.

Here's my Spica TC50 Xovers after I redid them.

Attachments

• spica xovers.jpg
    spica xovers.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 422
Re: nice caps

tommytube said:
Those caps should be very good for a Xover.

AFter the hot glue tip, I figured I'd show mine. I use that Post It putty used to pin up paper. It's yellow and comes from Home Depot and other places. I just use it to damped the leads as they go into the caps to eliminate as much microphonics as possible.

Here's my Spica TC50 Xovers after I redid them.

It will not change anything to cover the leads in goo, you need to cast the caps into a solid box or tube of some sort. The only reason to leave caps naked is to get a better markup on them, and as long as we support that, the manufacturers and/or the re-branders will keep laughing all the way to the bank.

Magura :)

I have bought many of them.

Note that Tannoy and B&W use SA caps for their top of the line speakers.

I could get them at prices cheaper than most sites advertised on the net. Their prices for me were only a bit higher than Solen and substantially lower than Auricaps and many other caps.

I once tried them as the output caps in a very cheap line stage preamp and they did not seem to make any difference in sound quality comparing to even the cheap Mylars (not in a fair test though).

When used in XOs they sound clean to me. Some sweared they are better than Hovland caps.

One day I replaced one of them with some Jaycar polypropylene cap and was shocked that the sound was no longer listenable. I then tried some unbranded Japanese polypropylene caps and the sound was also unlistenable. I swapped back to the SA and the music was back.

I bought 2 pairs of Solen PP for the purpose of comparing the sound to decide what I would buy in the future but have not got a chance to do the actual comparison. I can get both at reasonable prices.

The sizes of the SA caps are subtantially larger than the solens.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill

Magura said:
Try taking a rolled naked film cap, and mount it on your multimeter with crocodile clips, now squeze the cap between two fingers and see what happens to the capacitance.

I tried this with an inexpensive Dayton film and foil, and with a Solen polyprop. I squeezed pretty hard (hard enough to slightly dent the Solen.) The result? No change in capacitance.

HiFiNutNut said:

One day I replaced one of them with some Jaycar polypropylene cap and was shocked that the sound was no longer listenable. I then tried some unbranded Japanese polypropylene caps and the sound was also unlistenable. I swapped back to the SA and the music was back.

That bad? (Hi Quality Metallised / Polypropylene Capacitor?)

Yes that bad. They are Metalised Polypropylene capacitors but most certainly not good quality. Jaycar always buys the cheapiest stuff regardless of quality. I never believed caps of the same type (except for Electrolytic) would make that much of a difference and because of that event I was forced to change my mind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.